PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Environmental Specialist leads environmental functions at the Toronto facility. The successful candidate in this role works on implementation of critical processes, programs, and procedures to achieve goals, objectives, and continuous improvement related to environment. The Environmental Specialist must spend significant time on the plant floor, engaging and coaching employees, front-line leaders, maintenance, and contractors on a daily basis. As an integral part of the plant leadership team, the Environmental Specialist will provide information and guidance for activities relating to the site-wide sustainability and operating objectives.
Reports to: EH&S Leader
Oversee compliance with governmental regulations and corporate programs
- Ensure regulatory compliance of all environmental permits and processes.
- Create, maintain, and oversee the compliance calendar for all regulatory and corporate requirements.
- Effectively address enforcement actions from local, provincial or federal agencies.
- Provide expert technical support in identifying, and resolving critical regulatory issues.
- Ensure adherence to corporate policies and programs.
- Implement, development and maintain an environmental management systems. (i.e. ISO 1401)
- Address deficiencies in internal EHS audits.
- Actively participate in the operational sustainability data collection process to ensure standardized reporting across the company
Provide Environmental and Sustainability Leadership
- Provide site leadership for operational sustainability initiatives around reducing the company’s footprint in energy consumption, waste, water, air and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Actively participate and represent the plant with external organizations such as, Scarborough Business Association, Toronto Industry Network and other various municipal departments.
- Transforms plant environmental performance to world-class levels that align with division and Owens Corning corporate goals.
- Builds and fosters positive environmental behaviors and performance among all plant employees
- Supports the company values of “Expanding Our Impact through Sustainability” through on and off-the-job environmental programs.
Develop skills and grow capabilities in the plant
- Coach, mentor, and influence plant employees in order to cultivate a culture of environmental stewardship.
- Contribute to the plant’s sustainability culture by actively leading various committees (ex. green committees).
- Bachelors degree in EHS or related field, such as industrial hygiene, engineering, or science.
- 5 years of experience working in an industrial or manufacturing environment.
- Professional certification preferred (i.e. CET, Peng, EP).
- Environmental management systems experience.
- Experience effectively engaging employees.
- Experience working with regulatory agencies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Understanding of ECA requirements and associated monitoring, recordkeeping and reporting.
- Strong working knowledge of environmental law.
- Ability to identify hazards, critical process, and systems needs and implement appropriate action plans
- Ability to influence and establish alignment with all levels of the organization
- Ability to initiate and lead cross-functional teams and management/employee committees to achieve facility and company objectives