Environmental Health & Safety Specialist implements and administers the Natera environmental, health and safety programs within the company. Reporting into the Quality Assurance department, the position coordinates activities with such groups as Lab Operation (Lab Ops), Research & Development (R&D), Quality Assurance and Facilities.
- Manages the company's operations as it pertains to compliance with established company EHS-related SOPs and applicable regulations at the Federal, State, County and Local level.
- Becomes the immediate Liaison with all regulatory agencies and inspectors as it applies to EHS concerns.
- Held responsible for the escalation of business-critical events to higher level of authority where applicable.
- Services & maintains all documentation relating to state & county permits (air, biohazardous & hazardous).
- Annually reviews & revises all EHS-related SOPS for final approval by CLIA Lab Director.
- Services, maintains and is directly responsible for the welfare of both medical and biohazardous waste, including, but not limited to waste characterization, waste preparation, waste scheduling & waste disposal.
- Oversees fire extinguisher & eyewash/deluge shower inspections (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually & periodically where applicable).
- Responds to ergonomic requests with ergonomic assessment & applicable recommendations to case closure.
- Directly responsible for ensuring all EHS-related training is delivered to applicable personnel as outlined in internal training SOPs and that the EHS training program is maintained compliant at all times.
- Identifies workplace hazards and promulgates related corrective actions to closure in a timely manner.
- Investigates all accidents/injuries & processes metrics to Senior Management to highlight accident trending.
- Chairs & coordinates the safety committee and emergency response team.
- Assists with seismic safety as needed.
- Tracks regulatory changes relating to all EHS-related matters and makes recommendations as applicable.
- Bachelor's degree in related science field (biology, chemistry, physics). Background in biotechnology or industrial hygiene is preferred.
- 5+ years of related work experience in the field of environmental, health & safety as it relates to biotechnology and laboratory environments with an ability to expound on the theory and practical delivery of successful EHS-related programs.
- Highly desirable qualifications: C.I.H.
- Preferred qualifications: ASP, CSP, CHHM.
- Experience in conducting ergonomic evaluations and making recommendations for applicable equipment purchases.
- Educational background in EHS matters including, but not limited to, chemical safety & waste regulations, accident & injury prevention, emergency response, ergonomics, environmental sustainability, knowledge and understanding of CLIA/CAP as they relate to EHS.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Prepared to present to all levels of the organization.
- Prepared to lift a maximum of 50 pounds unassisted.
- Show competency in maneuvering a pallet jack (both motorized & manual)/
- Prepared to deliver EHS-related (live) training in a classroom setting