The Environmental Health and Safety Specialist III is accountable for driving results in a fast-paced environment by monitoring and evaluating occupational safety and health concerns including physical, chemical and/or biological hazards. The role works in moderately complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
The position exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in functional competencies included in this position profile.
- Supports incident investigations and development of corrective actions
- Performs safety training and ergonomic evaluations.
- Conducts industrial hygiene sampling, interprets resulting data and recommends work practices.
- Performs safety inspections, investigates incident reports and recommends appropriate changes.
- Ensures workplace conditions comply with OSHA occupational health and safety standards.
- Participates in emergency response team and in occupational safety and health inspections.
- Implements and maintains EH&S programs and compliance plans such as industrial hygiene, laboratory safety, confined space, electrical safety, lock-out-tag-out, respiratory protection, fire safety, contractor safety, fall protection, waste management, safety committee and hazard communications.
- Responds to emergency situations involving physical, chemical and/or biological hazards.
- Maintains EH&S records and documents.
- Serve as potential contact for EHS regulatory agencies for inspections, permitting and reporting.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a life sciences discipline or EH&S related discipline with minimum 7 years of experience in a pharmaceutical or chemical manufacturing environment.
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety first culture.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.
Alcami Core Leadership Competencies
- Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities. Considers the downstream impact. Seeks to understand the why. Focuses on work that matters.
- Develops organization and others. Takes ownership to develop self and others. Seeks out new opportunities and experiences for continuous learning.
- Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Makes decisions with the customer and their patients in mind. Meets commitments with a sense of urgency. Seeks ways to be more efficient.
- Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Delivers results first time right. Never settles for status quo. Willing to have tough conversations. Asks for feedback and takes action to improve.
- Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter and uses that insight to provide value.
- Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open minded regardless where ideas originate. Flexible and easy to work with.
- Knowledge of EH&S regulatory compliance reporting, including required data collection and reporting to federal, state, and local agencies.
- Ability to develop new training materials, programs and tools to analyze and improve training effectiveness.
- Ability to lead investigation of incidents, near misses and property damage incidents and ensure follow-up is completed to minimize future exposure: document same.
- Ability to perform regular audits on EH&S programs and revise as necessary to comply with federal, state and local requirements.
- Ability to lead safety hazard evaluations and risk assessments on facility operations and equipment.
- Ability to perform routine safety observations to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies, company environmental, health, and safety policies, procedures and practices.
- Ability to perform complex math functions, compute ratios, rates, and percentages.
- Ability to draw and interpret graphs and charts.
- Ability to solve practical problems and assist in their resolution.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Communicate with other departments and personnel as needed.
- Up to 15% travel required.