Safety is a core value at WestRock, and we aspire to become an injury-free workplace. Every day, our 45,000 team members combine practical innovations and rigorous execution in more than 300 operating and business facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia-Pacific to deliver products and services that answer unique local needs. We are intently focused on servicing our customers and exceeding their expectations. Our commitment to safety is reflected in our enterprise-wide goal to eliminate Serious Injuries and Fatalities (SIF) and demonstrate industry leadership on safety and health.
Title: Environmental, Health & Safety Manager – Long Island, NY and Hicksville, NY
This position is for an experienced environmental, health and safety professional who will support WestRock’s, growing business. As Environmental, Health & Safety Manager, you will be responsible for assisting WestRock’s Multi Packaging Solutions operations at the Lexington, Greensboro and Raleigh North Carolina facilities. Environmental, Health & Safety Manager is responsible for assisting sites with implementing the WestRock’s S&H Management system, developing and implementing effective injury prevention programs, ensuring compliance with company policies, standards and regulatory requirements and helping to build consistency throughout the sites by providing functional/technical expertise to the assigned locations. The position will be based at (could be at one of the locations or offsite).
The successful candidate must have experience with EH&S program implementation, management systems, leading incident investigations, training with hourly and management personnel, conducting EH&S audits and driving cultural change.
How you will impact WestRock:
• Develop and implement programs, plans and management systems consistent with WestRock’s corporate environmental, health & safety requirements.
• Work with site personnel in implementing hazard identification and prevention programs and with the development and implementation of site-specific injury reduction plans.
• Lead, or assist plant management in leading, incident, near miss and SIF and potential SIF investigations to ensure root causes are determined and corrective actions are implemented. Analyze incident reports and evaluate injury case studies to aggressively pinpoint and mitigate safety risks.
• Complete and submit reports and applications as required by local, state and/or federal regulations.
• Build employee relationships and advance WestRock’s culture and hazard mitigation through coaching, mentoring, and engagement with employees at all levels of the organization.
• Provide EH&S technical assistance to the sites including providing advice on machine guarding, powered industrial trucks, lockout/tagout, electrical, confined spaces, fall prevention, recordkeeping, air emissions, pollution prevention, stormwater, reporting and other environmental and safety regulatory issues.
• Work with facilities to respond to, identify and implement actions required to address environmental and safety audit findings in a timely, effective and cost-efficient manner.
• Conduct environmental, health & safety training for facilities as necessary, utilizing and coordinating with WestRock’s EHS Auditing and Training staff. Provide subject matter expertise for corporate-wide safety training sessions.
• Participate in WestRock Environmental, Health & Safety audits as required.
• Analyze EH&S data for trends and develop improvement plans.
What you need to succeed:
• Bachelor’s degree – Occupational Safety, sciences, engineering or similar
• Certified Safety Professional preferred – ASP/CSP, Certified Industrial Hygiene-CIH
• 5 years of experience which includes supporting multiple locations
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
• Strong communication, presentation, training and facilitation skills are essential
• Advanced to expert skills using the Microsoft suite, including Excel, PowerPoint and Access databases.
• Thorough knowledge of U.S. Safety & Health laws and regulations and International requirements desired, including OSHA, ANSI, and NFPA
• Proficient Computer Skills (e.g. Microsoft Office – Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word)
• Self-starter and able to manage time with each location.