Ventura Foods is a leading global manufacturer of branded and custom food products that can be found at national and regional restaurants, hospitals and universities, movie theatres and major retailers in the U.S. and in more than 60 countries. At 15 manufacturing sites across North America, Ventura Foods creates dressings and sauces, mayonnaises, margarines, and oils that help our customers create great-tasting flavors with high-quality ingredients. Those same high-quality ingredients go into our own set of branded products, such as: Marie’s® dressings, LouAna® oils, Dean’s® dips and Gold n’ Soft® spreads. Our company is headquartered in Brea, California with operations across the U.S, Canada, Mexico, the Philippines and Singapore. Regardless of your role, function or location, at Ventura Foods, you'll be part of a supportive team dedicated to helping our customers delight their customers.
Responsible for the overall support, strategy and development of the EHS functions of Ventura Foods operations. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Requires familiarity with standard chemical industry concepts, practices, procedures, and processes. Must manage, communicate and facilitate Company safety & health goals to be included in Ventura Foods sites, and to coordinate and manage overall safety and health management systems and programs within Ventura Foods.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with, and improvement of EHS programs that meet federal, state and local regulatory requirements including, but not limited to: chemical safety, confined space entry, electrical safety, contractor EHS management, industrial hygiene, LOTO, PPE, PSM, industrial and office ergonomics, storm water pollution prevention, hazardous waste management, air emissions management and wastewater treatment.
- Provide guidance and technical expertise on requirements of EHS regulations, keeping local management informed of legislative updates and the necessary actions. Develop and implement plans, programs, processes and documented procedures for incident-free operations and reduction of risk. Identify trends in incidents and near miss reports, ensure actions are completed to address root causes.
- Oversee and enhance application of incident investigation process and lessons learned. Maintain the site EHS management system to be current and accurate. Integration of OHSA's 18001 & ISO 14001 principles into site management system. Active member of the plant management team including active participation in committee meetings. Work with site leadership team to develop and maintain waste minimization efforts and spill prevention practices. Identify and/or conduct EHS-related training. Responsible for coaching/developing/managing/appraising EHS team members.
- Oversee and enhance behavior-based safety processes including promotion of concepts and teaching. Develops and assists in the implementation of security guidelines for VF and implements improvement plans that include customer and supplier interface. Provides technical and regulatory input to proposed capital projects and facilities expansions including property protection recommendations. Must be able to function across multiple business units upholding business alignment and maximizing integration as well as global strategies in the EHS goals, objectives, planning and execution.
- Responsible for assuring compliance with all Food Safety policies, procedures and regulatory criterion including the current SQF code, Good Manufacturing Practices, and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and associated Preventive Controls.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. (Engineering, Safety or Industrial Hygiene), minimum of 10 years of experience in a manufacturing environment – chemical, or related PSM-regulated facilities preferred
- Extensive knowledge and experience with EH&S Management systems and processes
- Need skills with: process safety-PSM, EHS program and culture improvements, behavioral-based safety, training, waste minimization, EHS regulations and compliance.
- Need excellent verbal and written and presentation skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills a plus
Knowledge and Skills:
- Maintains strong leadership skills.
- Prepares and carefully reviews instructions, reports, etc., and ensures they have internal consistency; ensures that information can be understood by all who need to read it.
- Verbally conveys ideas, instructions and information so they are clearly understood by others in formal or informal face-to-face situations.
- Writes well-composed memos, reports and instructions, which clearly state the intended message in a manner that is professional, yet easy for others to understand.
- Understands PC operations such as operating systems, common spreadsheets, and word processing software.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of others; includes tactfulness and a helping orientation. Must be a team player.
- Demonstrates a level of listening skill such that problems at sites are brought forward to be heard and possibly resolved.
- Analyzes and understands why problems occur; generates creative, yet practical solutions.
- Efficiently prepares various statistical and/or other reports in a way that is clear and legible.
- The ideal candidate will thrive on challenge, foster an environment of collaboration and learning, and possess an exceptional ability influence all level of audiences, both internal and external to VF.
- Must be a total self-starter with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, be able to multi-task and independently develop and drive solutions to complex problems.