As Environmental Health and Safety Manager for our Hicksville, NY plant location includes: Provide leadership for the administration on the overall EHS program. Developing and achieving the annual safety plan. Achieve consensus on the plan objectives while monitoring the progress against objectives. Completing and/or approving all required regulatory and company reporting documents. Perform hazard analysis within the plant. Assist the plant management team in the development and execution of action plans for the improvement of safety and environmental performance.
Qualifications – External (Required):
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Safety or related field required with 5+ years of proven safety management in a (food) manufacturing setting.
Competencies – Skills (Required):
- Be charged with developing and utilization of plant environmental safety teams and resources.
- Keep supervisor/management personnel apprised of hazardous conditions and unsafe practices.
- Conduct root cause analysis and provide solutions.
- Lead all aspects of the safety function including compliance initiatives (Federal and State OSHA/EPA) training development, risk assessment, reporting and the development, delivery and maintenance of training programs reinforcing a safety culture that promotes an injury free workplace.
- Support waste reduction and energy conservation efforts.
- Work closely with EH&S corporate staff to implement the company's initiatives in EH&S programs.
- Strong technical background in Safety and Environmental regulations in ergonomics, behavior-based safety, problem solving/judgment, presentation skills, waste/energy conservation, managerial courage, ethics, and building effective relationships.
- Proficiency in applicable computer and software use.
- Ability to communicate and work closely with employees at all levels of the company.
- Capable of leading change in a diverse business environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret written materials, technical information, rules, regulations, and laws; conduct inspections on work areas, farm sites, machinery, equipment and working condition for compliance with occupational safety, environmental and security regulations and policies, procedures and rules.
Experience – Education (Preferred):
- Master's Degree or MBA degree a plus.
Desired Certifications Preferred:
- Professional Engineer (PE) Associate Safety Professional (ASP) Industrial Hygienist in Training (IHIT) Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM) Registered Environmental Manager (REM).
Competencies – Skills (Preferred):
- Project management skills are a plus.
- Organizational Support following policies and procedures.
- Bi-Lingual (Spanish) is highly preferred for this role.
- Preferably prior/current experience working for a large facility with 200 employees or greater
- Observe safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability, ability to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Values, supports and demonstrates commitment to company values of integrity, respect, loyalty, responsibility, gratitude and passion.
- General knowledge of GMP, HACCP, AIB and SQF requirements.