At Ferrara we continue our growth and we are hiring and expanding nationwide! We are agile. We are ambitious. We are collaborative. Together, we are shaping the future of the candy and cookie industry and sharing goodness in the process. Sound like the kind of career you could sink your teeth into? We would love to have you on our team! You will be a vital part of a team providing quality products to millions of people daily.
Ferrara, a related company of Ferrero Group, is an emerging powerhouse in the North American confections and snacking categories. A $3B organization, Ferrara is No. 1 in seasonal confections and No. 2 in sugar confections, and has entered the world’s largest cookies market through the acquisition of a beloved portfolio of cookie brands, a category growing at more than 4%.
The primary objective of the Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Manager (Bilingual, English & Spanish) role is to protect and enhance the safety of our employees and our site environmental sustainability through prevention, fostering a culture of caring where safety, health and environment are ingrained as a core value, achieving world class performance in support of a highly efficient, low cost operations via a zero accident mindset. The position ensures compliance of all EHS aspects of the site and sets local EHS strategies for overall success in alignment with corporate policy and common practices. This position reports to the Corporate EHS Manager – Sugar.
- Partners with site leadership team to develop site EHS Key Priorities, Drivers and Activities with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to drive site EHS performance improvement. Ensures these are aligned with corporate strategies, programs and plans with the objective of sustainable world class EHS performance.
- Leads/fosters/develops a caring culture where safety, health and environment are ingrained as a core value with all employees.
- Actively participates on site leadership team and effectively leads, coaches and develops operations line supervision to be effective EHS leaders/coaches in their respective positions.
- Ensure site maintains continuous “audit ready” state of compliance with company EHS policies and procedures as well as all applicable external regulatory requirements.
- Responsible to create and ensure implementation of necessary systems, processes and procedures, including management of change.
- Develops EHS best in class programs, systems and processes, including training and coaching to establish clear procedures on EHS measures and precautions.
- Drives key effective, sustainable implementation Corporate and site EHS initiatives, strategies, programs and procedures, responsibilities via hands on leadership, coaching and team work.
- Leads the effective implementation and utilization of risk assessment and risk prediction processes in the site to ensure these are effective at identifying and mitigating hazards and effectively communicated/ understood by all affected employees.
- Ensures investigation of all EHS related incidents utilizing continuous improvement tools to drive to root cause and identify actions to prevent recurrence.
- Ensures all actions to prevent recurrence are effectively implemented.
- Ensures effective injury case management process is fully implemented, well understood and functioning as desired.
- Develops site EHS talent through active support, coaching and feedback with the goal of developing talent that can move on to more challenging positions.
- Leads development of EHS capabilities of all employees and contractors through effective content development and delivery of site EHS training that ensures comprehension.
- Develops and maintains effective EHS communication processes to promote EHS awareness regarding performance trends and key concepts/initiatives.
- Act as site lead for implementation of EHS components of continuous improvement.
- Ensure third party ISO certification.
- Works through established systems, applies related tools.
- Effectively coach and utilize tools, systems and process to enhance site EHS and overall performance.
- Provides technical expertise/coaching as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function.
- Partners with other key functions on initiatives including Engineering, Operations, HR, Quality, etc. to deliver on goals and plans.
- Supervises efforts of the site EHS Specialists and those with emergency response duties
- Conducts plant wide safety audits
- Provide leadership and direction in the development, and oversight of EHS compliance
- Delivers high quality training to new employees, supervisors and line operations in safety performance
- Assists plant director in providing timely feedback to employees on safety issues
Requirements, Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Occupational Safety, Environmental Sciences or related field
- Demonstrated 5-10 years of experience working in a safety and environmentally conscious manufacturing environment
- Strong communicator with bilingual (English and Spanish) speaking skills required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in successfully managing EHS sustainability activities in a manufacturing setting
- Previous experience in managing ISO 14001 and 45001 site
- ISO Lead Auditor Certified
- Well-versed in hierarchy of controls for prevention of accidents
- Thorough knowledge of laws and regulations regarding OSHA, NFPA, DOT and EPA
- Strong technical expertise in manufacturing safety and knowledge of safety processes
- An EHS-related professional certification such as (CSP, CSHO, WSO, OSHT, CET, CHMM, ASP)
- Experience leading culture change and developing/implementing management systems
- Familiarity with safety management systems including documentation control,
development of work procedures and flow charts