SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a senior level position, which represents the attainment of specialized knowledge in breadth and depth. Understands advanced concepts within professional discipline. Applies knowledge and experience to complex situations. Recommends solutions to complex issues. Performs independently and uses experience to guide actions. Mentors less experienced colleagues.
- Support the Company’s mission, vision, values and goals in the performance of daily activities.
- Lead all plant environmental, health and safety compliance and management system functions and activities. Maintain communications with Corporate Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) colleagues.
- Provide prioritized direction and leadership to ensure a safe work environment for all colleagues consistent with Tower’s business plan objectives while assisting senior plant leadership in defining and communicating clear responsibilities for environmental, health and safety performance requirements. Support the plant process for holding colleagues accountable for their performance.
- Minimize safety incidents through implementation of proactive and innovative programs.
- Develop and lead initiatives to assess and minimize workplace risks and work with Supervisors, Managers and colleagues to integrate EH&S into daily work activities.
- Systematically develop and implement strategic efforts to reduce work related injuries and illnesses (e.g. ergonomic process, layered process auditing, behavior based safety process)
- Develop and deliver training and/or training tools on all relevant internal EH&S initiatives and regulatory requirements including but not limited to lockout, confined space, heat stress, and hearing conservation.
- Provides assistance and guidance to plant supervision to identify and correct workplace hazards consistent with company and regulatory requirements.
- Lead, conduct and/or manage EH&S management system and compliance audits of company facility to ensure compliance with internal requirements as well as Federal, state, and local health and safety regulations
- Support the plant’s layered process audit system and participate is such audits.
- Support the corporate EH&S audit process by participating in plant EH&S audits at other Tower North American Operations.
- Responsible for organizing and supporting the plant safety committee.
- Ensure compliance with all company and federal/state/local environmental and safety programs, industrial hygiene practices, policies, and procedures through inspections, investigations, training & development.
- Maintains records on regulatory and non-regulatory health and safety inspections and correspondences. Responsible for completing OSHA recordkeeping requirements and federal/state mandated filings.
- Lead environmental compliance activities including, but not limited to: compiling emissions inventories, assisting in preparing and submitting permit certifications and other required compliance reports, permit applications, preparation and strategy, organizing and participating in emissions monitoring activities, reviewing and reporting emissions data, general training, coordinating responses to regulatory agency requests and enforcement actions with Corporate EH&S. Interface with federal, state, and local environmental agencies on plant EH&S issues.
- Lead the ISO 14000 process and enhance the environmental management system to drive environmental stewardship initiatives through implementation of recycling and pollution prevention projects
- Guide and lead activities to implement change in design of machinery and equipment and work methods to provide for ergonomic improvements for the operators.
- Assist supervisors and colleagues in preparing incident reports, in the identification of root causes and the implementation of corrective actions.
- Coordinate and/or support the injury management process including, but not limited to, incident investigation, medical management, return to work and workers' compensation claims management.
- Assist with plant activities to achieve quality, productivity and cost reduction goals.
- Assure all salaried and hourly colleagues are aware of their Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) responsibilities and in conjunction with supervision hold all colleagues accountable.
- Assign clear responsibilities for Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) and hold all plant colleagues accountable for enforcement.
- Assure all safety devices are properly in place and utilized and verify individual usage of personal protective equipment (PPE) by all the work team.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all levels of the organization.
- Support and maintain plant wide high standard’s for housekeeping.
- Adherence to all company policies and procedures (ex. Quality Policy Manual, Colleague Handbook, Level II procedures, etc.)
- Assist with plant activities towards achieving customer awards and Quality registrations (ex. TS 16949/ISO14001, Pentastar)
- Responsible for ensuring the entire team has the necessary tools and materials to properly perform their roles safely and efficiently.
- Comply and oversee compliance with all internal and OSHA required safety procedures in the performance of daily activities.
Reports directly to the Operations Manager. Interfaces on a frequent basis with all plant salaried and hourly colleagues and corporate EH&S Area Managers.
- Provides leadership on EH&S issues to colleagues in the plant.
- Ability to identify, select, train and coach management talent.
- Provides model behavior to demonstrate corporate values.
- Bachelors Degree in a safety related field or environmental science, or equivalent experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of six (6) or more years experience in a similar role within a plant environment.
- Safety, safety related, or Environmental Professional Certification preferred.
- Specific knowledge in several environmental, health and safety processes and practices (OSHA) and state requirements, ergonomics, ISO 14001, etc.) Solid background in ergonomics
- Experience with wastewater processing a plus.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Strong problem resolution skills, along with customer service and team orientation skills.
- Proven leadership ability and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and ability to learn internal computer systems.
- Ability to read and write in English and to perform mathematical calculations.