Overall Job Summary
Plans, coordinates, and implements environmental, health, and safety programs requiring the application of regulatory and behavioral principles and technology to analyze and control conditions contributing to occupational hazards by performing the following duties. Actively confers and coordinates activities with corporate E/H/S function.
- Develops and implements programs and policies based on lagging and leading indicators for monitoring and preventing physical hazards at the facility.
- Surveys, compiles, and analyzes data relating to occupational and environmental health issues such as chemical exposure, noise, dusts, vapors, mists, solvents, behaviors, and ergonomics which are known or suspected of being real or potential detriments to health.
- Develops, implements, and sustains a structured ergonomic program.
- Lead cultural and behavioral safety changes.
- Develops and provided safety training for supervisors and hourly employees.
- Performs field and safety measurements, safety evaluations, and hazardous waste evaluations with corrective action follow through.
- Develops or provides input to hazardous material communications, including review of material data sheets.
- Completes, submits, and maintains all required environmental reporting.
- Supports the conceptualization and development of cost-reduction and continuous improvement projects pertaining to safety as well as environmental compliance.
- Champions technical initiatives (e.g., fire safety, waste management, etc.) and supports corporate Centers of Excellence (CoEs) as appropriate for site asset base and production process.
- Implements or recommends control measures for exposure to hazardous materials and conditions.
- Provides technical guidance to management and all hourly employees regarding health-related conditions as well as preventative actions.
- Monitors the company's health standards in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Develops and implements a program and system to track and evaluate worker injuries.
- Provides follow-up to and evaluation of workers compensation claims.
- Maintains working knowledge of new developments in the industry and government regulations.
- Develops and facilitates training for workers on issues related to health and safety.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Participates as a subject matter expert (SME) in relevant corporate E/H/S initiatives.
- Champions the deployment and sustainment of the Matthews Management System (MMS) as the operational excellence platform in the areas of safety, health, and environment.
- Maintains site E/H/S plan and strategy and regularly aligns with leadership on progress, resourcing, and the future state.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
PHYSICAL ASPECTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- Regularly/Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly/Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold & heat, risk of electrical shock, and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low/moderate.
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health and Safety or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the key accountabilities of the job required
- Advanced degree (MBA, Master’s) preferred
- 6+ years progressive environmental health and safety experience required
- 3+ years in a leadership role (direct or indirect)
- Working knowledge of safety and environmental management systems (e.g., ISO 14000, OHSAS 18000, etc.)
- Periodic travel is required, including the potential for international travel
- High degree of proficiency MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, budgeting, project management (from conception to completion), & planning skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including analysis, interpretation, & reasoning)
- Solid understanding and application of mathematical concepts
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization, as well as, internal and external clients
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos