Position Summary:Reporting to the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, the Environmental Health and Safety Specialist manages and oversees campus environmental health and safety (EHS) programs to assure a safe work environment, minimize environmental impact of University activities, and comply with applicable federal, state, and local EHS regulations.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
- Duties and Responsibilities:Develop and present training programs in compliance with federal, state, and local EHS regulatory requirements.
- Respond to and assess selected EHS concerns (spills, working at heights, etc.), develop corrective actions as needed, and assure resolution.
- Oversee selected EHS programs such as chemical waste management, emergency response planning.
- Collaborate with other members of the Facilities Management Organization to address occasional hazards that arise as a result of project or maintenance activities, in compliance with applicable requirements.
- Contribute to development of a campus-wide integrated EHS program. This includes developing policies/procedures, conducting periodic audits, writing reports, etc.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable regulations.
- Perform additional duties and assist with projects as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications:Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Environmental Engineering, Safety & Industrial Hygiene, Chemistry, or related science/engineering field preferred.
- 5+ years of experience administering EHS programs required.
- General knowledge of federal and Pennsylvania EHS regulatory requirements required. Experience in EHS in higher education desirable.
- Experience working with construction/maintenance activities desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Competency with Microsoft Office software products.
Preferred Qualifications:Pursuing additional certifications such as Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Safety Professional, Board Certified Environmental Engineer desirable.
- Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:Occasional exposure to chemicals, noise, illumination, poor air quality, asbestos, lead paint, mold, adverse weather, enclosed spaces, and hazardous materials.
- Walking, sitting, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting up to 50 pounds.
Special Message to Applicants:Posting Date:10/08/2020Closing Date (11:59pm ET):Salary Posting Information:Commensurate with experience
Salary Band:HJob Classification:exempt