Provide the necessary environmental, health and safety skills and leadership to the plant to achieve optimal levels of safety, quality, productivity and delivery to assure internal and external customer satisfaction.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Company’s mission, vision, values and goals in the performance of daily activities.
- Provide direction and leadership consistent with plant business plan goals as a member of the plant Leadership Team.
- Manage and drive all plant environmental, health and safety compliance and management system functions and activities. Maintain communications with Corporate Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) colleagues.
- Using data analysis methods; develop and maintain annual strategic improvement plans targeted at driving safety performance and achieving leading indicator goals established by Tower Leadership.
- Responsible for defining and driving clear responsibilities for environmental, health and safety performance requirements.
- Advise the Plant Manager and other functional group Managers as a member of the plant Leadership Team.
- Responsible for ensuring all colleagues have the necessary safety and environmental training, tools and materials to perform their tasks and responsibilities safely and efficiently.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all levels of the organization.
- Support and maintain plant wide high standards for 5 s.
- Assign clear responsibilities for safety and environmental performance to plant staff and hold all plant colleagues accountable for enforcement.
- Systematically develop and implement strategic actions to reduce work related injuries and illnesses (e.g. ergonomic process, layered process auditing, behavior based safety process)
- Lead environmental compliance activities including, but not limited to: compiling emissions inventories, assisting in preparing and submitting permit certifications and other required compliance reports, permit applications, compliance strategy, organizing and participating in emissions monitoring activities, reviewing and reporting emissions data, general training, coordinating responses to regulatory agency requests and enforcement actions with Corporate EHS.
- Interface with federal, state, and local environmental agencies on plant safety and environmental issues.
- Lead the ISO 14001 process and enhance the environmental management system to drive environmental stewardship initiatives through implementation of recycling and pollution prevention and implement value added environmental management projects.
- Develop, lead and drive initiatives to assess and minimize workplace risks.
- Work with Supervisors, Managers and colleagues to integrate EHS into daily work activities.
- Develop and deliver training and/or training tools on all relevant internal EHS initiatives and regulatory requirements.
- Coach and mentor Subject Matter Experts in safety to ensure competency.
- Advise and provide guidance to plant supervision to identify and correct workplace hazards consistent with Tower and regulatory requirements.
- Train managers, supervisors and colleagues in preparing incident reports, identification of root causes and the implementation of corrective actions.
- Lead EHS management system and compliance audits to ensure compliance with Tower and regulatory safety and environmental regulations.
- Continually improve safety and environmental programs, maintain industrial hygiene practices, improve policies, and procedures through inspections, investigations, training & development.
- Maintain records including health and safety inspections and correspondence.
- Responsible for completing OSHA recordkeeping requirements and federal/state mandated filings.
- Minimize safety incidents through implementation of proactive and innovative processes and programs.
- Responsible for maintaining effective safety committees.
- Guide and lead activities to implement change in design of machinery, equipment, and work methods to drive ergonomic improvements.
- Assure all safety devices are properly in place, functional, and utilized.
- Support and assist with plant activities to achieve quality, productivity and cost reduction goals.
- Support and assist with plant activities towards achieving customer awards and Quality registrations.
- Adherence to all company policies and procedures (eg. Quality Policy Manual, Colleague Handbook, Level II procedures, etc.)
- Support corporate EHS audit process by participating in plant EHS audits at other Tower North American Operations.
- Remain up to date and informed on existing and proposed changes to environmental and safety regulations and requirements that are applicable to the plant.
Reports directly to the Plant Manager as a member of the plant Leadership Team. Interfaces on a frequent basis with all plant salaried and hourly colleagues and corporate EH&S.
- Provides leadership on EH&S issues to all colleagues in the plant.
- Tactfully hold plant leadership accountable for EHS performance
- Train and coach management talent on EHS topics.
- Serve as the plant’s primary interface with external EHS regulators and EHS auditors, including Registrar for maintaining ISO 14001 certification.
- Lead cross functional teams (CFT) and Internal Auditing team for ISO 14001 program.
- Provides model behavior to demonstrate corporate values.
- Bachelors Degree in a safety related field or environmental science; Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional Safety or Environmental certification (CSP, CHMM) preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) or more years of experience in a similar role within a plant environment.
- Specific knowledge in several environmental, health and safety processes and practices (OSHA) and state requirements, ergonomics, ISO 14001, etc.) Solid background in ergonomics
- Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills are required; including macro enabled workbooks.
- Ability to objectively assess problems
- Data analysis skills including familiarity with pivot tables, DMAIC process, statistical analysis
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem resolution skills, along with customer service and team orientation skills.
- Proven leadership ability and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Ability to read and write in English and to perform mathematical calculations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Duties include but are not limited to: stand, walk, twist, bend, lift, see, talk and hear. Ability to travel. Frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, vibration and hazardous materials.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by colleagues assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, qualifications, or working conditions.
Job Location Chicago, Illinois, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Tracking Code 5636