Responsible for the management and performance of the Environmental, Health, and Safety Department for MMS San Diego. Responsible for leading, implementing, and maintaining effective environmental, health, and safety programs. Ensures a safe work environment free of recognizable hazards. Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local regulations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall management of all facility environmental health and safety programs including ERT, Safety Representatives, Hazard Communication, Occupational Safety, and Industrial Hygiene.
- Provide supervision, coaching and development for San Diego site EH&S personnel.
- Lead projects & evaluate processes in the anticipation, recognition, evaluation and control of occupational health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Develops and provides safety and environmental training to all site and field associates.
- Conduct jobsite assessments, focusing on unsafe conditions and unsafe work behaviors; ensure appropriate action is taken to correct deficiencies.
- Participate in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections and in any procedures that may follow a citation. Investigate, prepare, and forward, as required, reports on injuries and fatalities.
- Develop safety policies, goals, programs and training.
- Monitor and maintain records and permits of hazardous, radioactive, and biohazardous materials and waste in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Develop and communicate technical information in a manner that fosters understanding, decision-making, and positive interaction with employees, functional managers, & facility management teams.
- Manage EH&S financial performance.
- Periodic review of policies, programs, and metrics to ensure alignment of EH&S strategies with business needs.
- Keeps abreast of the US and non US regulations affecting own area of supervision/management and complies with those regulations. Initiates changes to practices and procedures to support compliance requirements.
- Other duties as needed to support business directives and goals
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety and Health
- Strongly prefer at least 10 years of experience working in environmental health and safety management
- Extensive knowledge EHS regulations, best practices and EHS management systems
Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred to ensure continuing education of current EH&S trends and knowledge.
Experience working in a manufacturing environment strongly preferred
Experience designing and implementing strategies/programs/processes that supports a business strategy.
- Demonstrated understanding of federal and state safety and environmental laws and the ability to identify and evaluate workplace hazards.
- Demonstrated ability to use influence skills to successfully develop and implement effective safety programs which engage all employees.
- Effective communication and presentation skills, to include the ability to exercise judgment and appropriately communicate and manage confidential information.
- Effective skills in the areas of counseling/coaching/influencing, conflict management and interpersonal/verbal/written communications.
- Demonstrated understanding of California Workers Compensation Law and Workers Compensation Claims Management.
- Ability to travel up to 25%
Job ID R-324067