This position is for a skilled mid-level professional who has the capacity and desire to learn and do any and all aspects of environmental management at US Pipe. The Environmental Engineer will have an office & routine responsibilities at the Alabama Works. The Engineer will also be assigned to lead select projects at any of the other US Pipe facilities. Project work will primarily be regarding environmental control equipment design specification, vendor selection and installation oversight. Work at other US Pipe facilities may also include leading environmental permitting and testing projects.
- Collects data & prepares environmental compliance reports (eg. Annual Air Emissions Inventory; Toxic ReleaseInventory: Air Permit Compliance Certification; Foundry, Misc. Coating & Industrial Boiler & Oven MACT Compliance Report, etc.)
- Performs inspections & audits to evaluate performance vs. environmental regulations/ specifications/ goals & objectives. Reviews and evaluates inspections & audits done by others
- Serves as primary contact for select regulatory agency personnel
- Leads select projects at other US Pipe facilities regarding environmental control equipment design specification, vendor selection and installation oversight.
- Leads select projects at other US Pipe facilities regarding permitting and testing projects
- Participating in the business planning and budgeting process. Preparing, justifying, and managing relevant expense/capital budgets.
- Assists with the identification & development of environmental performance improvement ideas. Personally initiates actions and monitors results
- Prepares Federal State and Local permit applications and works with agencies to obtain necessary environmental licenses and permits
- Periodically assists with routine environmental equipment maintenance (eg. Baghouse and dust collector repairs, process water pond cleaning, stormwater drainage cleaning, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned
Scope Data/Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- The employee at times will be working in a heavy industrial environment exposing the employee to Foundry operations. The employee will be exposed (50% of the time) to the following working conditions: Extreme Heat and Cold, Noise, Vibration, Oils, and Atmospheric Conditions such as Dust. Fumes, and Metallic Particles. 50% of the time will be office environment.
- Travel is required. Anticipate approximately 20% on average.
- The employee will be required to perform the following actions (from time to time): Standing, Walking, Balancing, Stooping, Kneeling, Reaching, Talking, Seeing, Hearing and Sitting. The majority of the actions will be walking and standing.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities and Traits: A
Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, Civil or Environmental Engineering is required. A Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering is a plus. Must have a minimum of 5 years prior experience working in a heavy industrial manufacturing environment. Previous project managementexperience is a plus.
- Self-driven and resourceful. Works independently as well as work well in groups to achieve goals and complete tasks on time.
- Strong working knowledge of environmental regulations obtained through on-the-job training, work experience and Environmental, Mechanical or Civil Engineering Degree is required.
- Working knowledge concerning OSHA regulations desired.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and delegate.
- Strong ability to make independent and sound decisions under time pressure deadlines.
- Must have strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able to work well with others and other diverse team with the ability to facilitate teamwork.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.