This Environmental Engineer III position reviews, approves, and implements scientific and engineering services for environmental remediation, hazardous waste management, and construction projects. These are completed in accordance with Company standards, regulatory criteria, and contractual obligations (e.g., project scope of work). In addition, this position requires leadership and performance of a broad range of engineering functions related to designing, implementing, and field-optimizing both environmental remediation construction/demolition and horizontal construction/demolition projects.
- Prepares conceptual and final designs for complex or multi-phase/multi-media groundwater, surface water, vadose zone, and soil vapor/vapor mitigation remedial systems and water/stormwater conveyance, landfill capping, etc.
- Prepare and peer review conceptual and final designs for dewatering in support of environmental and demolition work and building construction
- Plan/manage complex engineering projects - including design, contract administration, and implementation
- Plan, prepare, review, and issue project and field submittals including, but not limited, to pre-construction plans, design documents, testing plans, analytical reports, shop drawings, field submittals, operation/ maintenance reports, closure reports and as-built records
- Apply industry standards of practice (SOPs) for selected technology, adhering to regulatory codes and standards, national/ local standards, and company SOPs
- Organize and conduct team project meetings, and take a lead role in ensuring project safety
- Author RFQs and assist in procurement and selection of technical and specialty subcontractors, consultants, service providers, and materials to accomplish our scope of work
- Oversee and review work of personnel, subcontractors and consultants to ensure compliance with approved plans and acceptable tolerances
- Review and approve related documentation (i.e., field reports, logs, work progress estimates, pay quantity records, meeting minutes, online submittal sites) in a timely and accurate manner – including maintaining the project submittal log, all field inventory logs, and all daily reports
- Review/approve engineering alternatives/designs for environmental and horizontal construction projects
- Investigate and recommend solutions in response to field changes, RFIs, resolve issues related to the quality or applicability of installed equipment, and issues regarding system operations
- Record and track all RFIs, potential change orders (PCO), and support development of modification proposals and claims/request for equitable adjustment (REA)
- A Bachelor's degree, from an accredited instituion, in Engineering, Engineering Management or related field; an MS degree is preferred
- A minimum of 6-10+ years' of experience
- PE license is required
- Four years or more of progressively responsible experience performing design, field engineering support and/or construction management on environmental remediation, site civil work, stormwater collection systems, fuel storage and waste incineration types of projects
- In-situ or ex-situ environmental system design, field engineering support, or quality control on environmental remediation or hazardous waste management projects is expected
- HAZWOPER 40 Hour Certification with current 8 Hour Refresher
- USACE Contractor Quality Management for Contractors certification is preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficient in all applicable principles, procedures, and practices of environmental and/or site civil engineering; demonstrated knowledge applying engineering standards of practice and regulatory codes and standards to environmental and field techniques
- Adept in achieving project objectives by properly reviewing/ inspecting work for adherence to approved technical plans, drawings and specifications
- Comprehensive knowledge in reading and comprehending client requirements, technical plans, specifications, and related technical documentation
- Established track record in effectively engaging with subcontractors
- Experience performing a range of in-situ and ex-situ environmental remedial system design and/or horizontal construction field engineering support, and quality control
- Strong organizational skills, and skilled at leading dispersed teams to accomplish tasks and activities adhering to established budget and schedule
- Proven communication skills including strong technical writing abilities
Gilbane offers an excellent total compensation package which includes competitive health and welfare benefits and a generous profit-sharing/401k plan. We invest in ouremployees' education and have built Gilbane University into a top training organization in the construction industry. Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.Gilbane is not accepting unsolicited resumes from third party recruiters at this time.
Gilbane is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability status.