Xcel Energy is looking for an Environmental Analyst IV to be located in Minneapolis, MN. We are seeking a candidate experienced in all aspects of Construction Stormwater Compliance at complex construction sites. This position will also oversee the regional environmental incident response system for NSP-Minnesota including managing complex spill response actions across the company’s northern service territory. The candidate would support NSP-Minnesota operations and provide assistance to other regions of Xcel Energy in Colorado and Texas. Also, experience working with ArcGIS is desired.
Plans, supervises, provides expertise/consultation, reviews progress, and evaluates results on projects and programs involving engineering, permitting, licensing, auditing, regulatory compliance, and/or environmental assessments to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental statutes and regulations. Possesses comprehensive knowledge of theories and principles and applies it in creative and effective ways to a broad range of very difficult and complex assignments. Under consultative direction and with substantial latitude for unreviewed actions and decisions conducts important investigations requiring the application of new approaches in the field. Routinely serves on special work teams and uses expert technical knowledge to act as lead person or technical advisor on medium to large projects. Assignments are routinely self-initiated.
- Administers and consults on complex programs designed to minimize deficiencies and ensure compliance with regulations and permits. Directs site assessment/investigations/remediation projects as necessary. (Major areas may include: auditing, air permitting and compliance, water/wastewater permitting and compliance, land quality, radiological, above ground and underground storage tanks, emergency plans, DOT compliance, FAA safety regulations, and hazardous, liquid and solid waste disposal.)
- Negotiates and administers license and permit applications and response actions to ensure compliance with existing federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Performs as a regulatory liaison with federal, state, and local agencies. Presents testimony at environmental hearings to support company position on environmental regulatory development.
- Directs and/or conducts data collection, strategic studies, evaluations, and report development to support environmental regulatory requirements at Xcel facilities. Projects may include proposed legislation and/or emerging public issues, operating permit limits and/or potential environmental regulatory noncompliance.
- Develops training lesson plan content that meet Xcel Academy standards, maintains instructor qualifications, and provides regulatory compliance training to Xcel personnel as is regulatory required and/or customer requested.
- Monitors outcomes of incidents, regulatory inspections and internal audits of company owned facilities, contractors, and/or outside disposal facilities and conducts and/or assesses root cause analysis to ensure corrective actions adequately address the problem and non-compliance conditions are not repeated. Provides support for emergency environmental incidents as needed.
- Monitors statutes, regulations, licenses, and/or permits for potential impacts to facility operations. Reviews proposed regulations, licenses, and/or permits to determine potential impacts to facility operations. Serves as the lead reviewer coordinating comments from others into a single company position recommendation.
- Prepares requests for proposals, contract agreements, and project estimates. Supports and/or selects and manages consultants and contractors.
- Assists others in developing, refining and implementing the strategic goals and objectives of Xcel Energy. Contributes to process teams concerning budget and regulatory compliance.5
- BS/BA in environmental science, engineering, applied science, or related fields
- Six years of progressively more responsible environmental related work experience including, but not limited to environmental regulations, remedial procedures, audit procedures, and power generation processes.
- Demonstrated skills in technical writing, verbal communication, and negotiations.