The Entity Controller is responsible for the company's full charge accounting processes, consolidated inter company financial statements, project accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, and various special analysis. Position is based in Toronto, CANADA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees the monthly, quarterly, and annual consolidated accounting close process, ensures transactions are processed and recorded in accordance with Company policies, generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP), and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) law; delivers timely and accurate accounting information for use in internal operations (i.e., ad hoc and recurring management reports,) and external reporting.
- Manages the preparation of workpapers to guide the outside tax provider in the annual and quarterly tax provision process in accordance with the annual tax provision, quarterly tax reporting, and annual compliance tax filing requirements.
- Directs the quarterly reviews, annual year-end external audit, and external auditors' activities, provides information and explanations, and makes accounting staff available to external auditors, as needed.
- Management of annual budget process; continual improvement of reporting structure to allow for agile monthly reporting and reforecasting
- Development of, and accountability for, financial controls, including daily cash management, accounts payable, payroll, capital expenditures.
- Management of workflows and technology integrations across all departments to optimally control cash, credit cards, travel and other discretionary expenditures
- Maintains working knowledge of federal, provincial, and local accounting and reporting regulations and standards (i.e., SEC, SOX, GAAP, etc.); prepares summaries of and pro-forma disclosures on new requirements impacting financial reporting; advises management on needed actions and communicates approved accounting positions to all affected parties as needed.
- Management of all subsidiary and "arms-length" inter-company transactions and reporting
- Management of compliance, including annual financial audit, taxes, insurance and statutory filing
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Participates in annual strategic planning meeting (OGSM), cascades objectives and measures down through functional area, and reports periodically on results, as applicable.
- Assesses and oversees the timing, nature, and scope of all monitoring activities over internal controls in one's functional area, as well as the timely remediation of all control gaps.
- Leads and supervises direct reports, including contracted service providers, in one's functional area, and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Company policies, procedures, and applicable laws.
- Provides and supports performance coaching and professional development of direct reports and team members in one's functional area, including formal and periodic communication around internal control accountabilities.
Engages in continuous learning and development to stay current on industry practices and trends.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in accounting; CPA required (or equivalent) and/or MBA preferred; highly commensurate experience may be considered.
- At least 10 years' progressive experience, especially with a fast-growing company.
- Master-level Excel skills and experience in all MS Office programs.
- Experience with QAD a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an organized and timely fashion with proven track record of delivering on projects and process improvements
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to remain flexible to change within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
Interpersonal – Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Provides recognition for results.
Leadership – Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.