Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global learning company with the mission of changing people's lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. Among the world's largest providers of pre-K -12 education solutions, HMH combines cutting-edge research, editorial excellence, and technological innovation to improve teaching and learning environments and solve complex literacy and education challenges. HMH's interactive, results-driven education solutions are utilized by 50 million students in over 150 countries, and its renowned and awarded novels, non-fiction, children's books and reference works are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
The Information Technology organization is transforming to realize our mission: Become a leader in HMH’s digital transformation, and as a strategic partner, innovate and deliver highest value, competitive advantage solutions across all corporate and business functions. Our ambition is to be a digital leader through innovation and develop and deliver leading edge technology such as robotic process automation and artificial intelligence to solve some of HMH’s greatest operational business challenges. Our professionals will have business relevant skills to connect our HMH partners to technologies that propel the businesses to deliver the greatest value for HMH and our customers. We are building a team of IT professionals with an insatiable appetite to learn, a relentless focus on customer service, a technological curiosity toward future possibilities, and a creativity in solving business challenges with leading technologies. Our team will find ways to work together, create a sense of community where it is safe to take risks and learn together, develop our careers, and all have an opportunity to work on new technologies. We will work together, learn together and have fun together. As a team, we will lead HMH’s digital transformation.
The Opportunity: Enterprise Architect
The Enterprise Architect is a key position reporting directly to the Director of Enterprise Services in the Technology Solutions Group. The primary responsibilities will include architecting HMH’s new future back office ecosystem to meet the company’s digital first strategy. This exciting opportunity spans multiple areas including master data management, integration, CRM, ecommerce, ERP and BI.
To succeed in this role, you should know how to assess business capabilities, non-functional system requirements, execute gap analysis exercises, and assess tools and technology. Architect solid technical solutions by following industry standards and best practices with a focus on the complete enterprise. The ideal candidate will also have proven experience in enterprise systems, with excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities. The ability to develop options, and provide comparative analyses is critical.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads evaluation, design and analysis for the implementation of a solutions architecture across a group of specific business applications or technologies, based on enterprise business strategies, business capabilities, value streams, business requirements and enterprise standards.
- Creates architectural designs to guide and contextualize solution development across services, projects and systems (including applications, technologies, processes and information).
- Define and assess HMH’s new back office tools and applications to meet business capabilities and HMH’s digital first focus.
- Aligning IT investment with HMH’s business priorities. Assess near-term and long-term needs, to establish business IT investment priorities.
- Provides internal management consultancy services to both IT and business leaders, helping them with innovation management and IT investment analysis
- Assures technology projects are architected to deliver reliable, inter operable and sustainable outcomes aligned with the HMH IT road map
- Facilitates enterprise strategy development, including environmental analysis, opportunity identification, technology and business cases, and innovation road-maps.
- Promote economy of scale decisions made around a common architecture with the following goals: effectiveness, efficiency, agility, and continuity of complex business operations.
- Drives new business capabilities through technology by executing proof of concepts (POC) to accelerate innovation at HMH
- Develop technology standards and guidelines, also help define governance and policy.
- Constructs deliverables that demonstrate how to move the business toward realizing its strategic goals and targeted business outcomes.
- Researches and provides information on emerging technology trends and disruptions relevant to assigned line of business.
- Participates in development and application of principles, standards and minimal viable architectures through the EA governance model, informed by the business strategy and corporate governance.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of five years of experience in at least two IT solution development disciplines, including technical or infrastructure architecture, network management, application development, middleware, database management or cloud development
- Experience in designing and applying Enterprise Integration patterns (event/message, request/response, batch) including implementing middleware technologies.
- Knowledge of business ecosystems, SaaS, infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), SOA, APIs, open data, microservices, event-driven IT and predictive analytics.
- Experience developing and monitoring delivery of efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems.
- Familiarity with information management practices, system development life cycle management, IT services management, agile and lean methodologies, infrastructure and operations, and EA and ITIL frameworks.
- Knowledge of all components of holistic enterprise architecture.
- Familiarity with basic graphical modeling approaches, tools and model repositories.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Detailed oriented and ability to learn and work independently
- Analytical and proactive problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and fast pace environment
- Be ready to take initiative with continuous improvement mind-set
- Experience in the education industry is a plus
- Experience in architecting Master Data Management Solutions a plus
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings