As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will help design and develop rocket engines and propulsion systems that meet Blue Origin’s launch vehicle program requirements for various spaceflight systems. You will contribute to engine design and development by building steady state and transient lumped parameter models of engines and other test articles to predict how they operate. These models will be used to drive engine requirements, test sequences, and vehicle trajectory design. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Develop lumped parameter cycle simulations of rocket engines and propulsion systems to meet program goals
- Correlate system models of rocket engine test data to provide accurate predictions of engine operation
- Provide engine test teams with system models that can be used to provide day to day guidance on engine or component test steady state operation and transient valve sequencing
- Provide the engine test team with test sequences and other guidance about safe engine operation
- Use model to study and compare various system configurations for design trades
- Evaluate engine system configuration trade space
- Optimize the overall engine system based on system performance, mission requirements, and program targets and constraints
- Debug existing models to improve computational speeds and fix convergence failures
- Interface with vehicle simulations to ensure engine modeling is accurate for flight mission simulations
- Provide guidance on ways to improve engine system modeling
- Provide guidance on ways to improve engine performance
- Improve existing analytical capabilities, including process automation tools
- Develop best practices for model development methods
- Communicate analysis results to the team
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering and 5+ years of experience in system modeling
- A strong background in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and power systems
- Proficient in programming and knowledge of at least one programming/scriptinglanguage (Python/MATLAB/etc)
- Excellent understanding of numerical methods
- Ability to work effectively in teams
- Ability to be self-directed and balance several tasks at one time
- Ability to communicate analysis results effectively
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Knowledge of ROCETS, NPSS, GFSSP or an equivalent system modeling software package
- Knowledge of FORTRAN.
Apply for this job onlineEmail this job to a friend Share on your newsfeed
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.