BenchSci exponentially increases the speed and quality of life-saving research by empowering scientists with the world�s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime and Google�s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, BenchSci uses machine learning to diagnose pharmaceutical R&D health from hidden patterns in procurement data. A turnkey application of AI with immediate, quantifiable impact, BenchSci now optimizes reagent procurement and experimental success in 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers globally.
We are currently seeking an Engineering Tech Lead to join our growing Reagent Platform Team. You will work on BenchSci's SaaS search product that helps scientists to find biological reagents for their experiments. Reporting into the Engineering Manager, you will provide technical leadership across several functional areas within the team, lead complex projects, participate in roadmap and project planning, mentor and teach more junior engineers, and actively contribute to BenchSci's platform front-end and back-end initiatives. In this role, you will be the subject matter expert for solutions and applications required for weekly sprint planning and delivery, and for recommending the best options and system designs for product objectives.You Will:
- Take ownership for the technical quality of the code across multiple areas, and provide feedback and code reviews to align the team with development processes
- Influence technical direction, choosing the best tools, system design and approaches for the job at hand
- Be involved with all aspects of software development, working to create and maintain the most reliable, secure, performant and high throughput service for our customers by leveraging cutting-edge cloud technology
- Design and architect testable, scalable solutions to complex problems, using the latest frameworks and tools
- Be part of an agile development team of smart and highly motivated engineers building world-class cloud software applications and services
- Inject your expert-level software development skills into several functional areas within the team
- Lead weekly sprints by planning and collaborating to maximize your team�s productivity
- Ensure that your team is always working on the highest priority tasks
- Mentor and teach more junior engineers
- Act as a champion and advocate for the company and its teams through various channels
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- 7+ years of experience working as a professional developer
- Experience building web applications in a very fast-paced, weekly or bi-weekly release, agile environment
- Experience with SQL, databases, APIs, and full stack solutions
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- A detail oriented approach to leading a small team of engineers with specific weekly sprints to build high quality, secure, and stable software
- An understanding of how to scale solutions to new clients that feature automated test coverage, scalable architecture and robust code
Our benefits and perks:
- Experience with Python and Django
- Experience with authentication solutioning and SSO
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the �executive treatment�
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we�re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we�re trying to do isn�t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.