The Software Engineering Manager provides technical leadership for a team supporting the fixed site and mobile antenna product lines in development, production, and sustaining efforts for customer programs. Directly involved in the design, integration, and test of all aspects of the software design of the antenna systems. A high level of technical content and participation in proposals, design, test, and sustainment of the products is anticipated with this position.
· Responsible for determining staffing requirements and adjusting staffing levels as necessary to ensure that the department’s workface is appropriately staffed with qualified individuals.
· Leads the team in defining requirements, planning, and executing project plans, participating in design reviews and supporting production release of modified or new products, as well as addressing obsolescence of currently fielded systems.
· Assigns, tracks, and controls department activities to ensure that department responsibilities are met and product designs conform to their requirements.
· Provides direction and training to engineers and ensure compliance with department standards and policies.
· Performs annual departmental performance appraisal reviews.
· Prepares or assists in the preparation of the departmental budget as needed.
· Reviews product specifications, and generate system and module-level block diagrams, flow diagrams, and design concepts.
· Designs, tests, and integrates software sub-systems and modules.
· Utilizes simulation tools or design tools to implement designs in antenna products.
· Demonstrates excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills. Conducts disciplined failure analysis to arrive at root cause for issues and design or recommend effective corrective actions.
· Interfaces with business development, proposals, other design and test departments, manufacturing, quality, production, and customer service to support all aspects of the antenna product lines.
· Supports product processes, such as BOM's (Bill of Materials) and ECO's (Engineering Change Order).
· Supports program and proposal processes, such as BOE’s (Basis of Estimate) and EAC’s (Estimate at Completion), as well as schedule generation and updates.
· Prepares and presents technical data at customer PDR's and CDR's.
· Provides job status to VP of Engineering and coordinates department activities with other departments.
· Supports marketing activities and proposal preparation.
· Prepares and participates in design presentations to customers and L3 employees. Identifies material and capital acquisition requirements, and initiates procurement.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or 10 years equivalent experience is required. Must have a minimum of three (3) years experience in running a software engineering or other department.Must have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience with programming in C, C#, or C++.
Previous experience in use or management of software development environment tools supporting software development life cycle process activities is required.
Knowledge of partitioned software architectures and Real Time Operating Systems is required.
Must have knowledge of relationship of system safety requirements with software BITE and Fault Management, as well as software configuration management processes and tools and Engineering Change Control (ECO) processes.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills is required.