As part of a small team, you will support the development, construction, operation and maintenance of Blue Origin's water test facilities in Kent. This is a hands-on engineering and project management position. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Design, plan, fabricate, install and operate space system/component test facilities using water as the test media
- Design, define, procure and install system components and materials; manage vendors and subcontractors.
- Develop and execute test plans and procedures; perform subsequent data reduction and reviews.
- Understand and troubleshoot fluid and instrumentation systems.
- Lead daily test operations, operate test consoles, direct technician work and coordinate with internal customers.
- Perform root cause analysis and failure investigations.
- Perform system hazard analyses.
- Plan and oversee facility maintenance.
- Perform schedule and cost estimation and management.
- Identify opportunities for safety improvements and cost savings.
- Directly leads test operations and personnel at a subset of the Kent test facilities
- Includes but is not limited to:
- Recruiting (Participate in interviews and hiring decisions)
- Training, coaching and mentoring
- Assisting with quarterly and annual performance reviews and performance management processes
- Assists in development and execution of a budget for each test stand
- Aides in creation and execution of schedules for reliable, on time testing
- Ensures work is completed in accordance with BLUE policies and procedures
- Creates a collaborative work environment with team by communicating effectively and encouraging personal development
- Receives long-term goals from Senior Manager, then delegates and assigns day-to-day work as per the priority to meet those goals
- Ensure that each employee performs his/her duties to the required standard
- Promotes teamwork and good employee morale.
- Actively model BLUE Leadership Principles and hold team accountable demonstrating them
- Demonstrates high standards in test operations and work cooperatively with a diverse team of Integration Engineers, Responsible Engineers and BLUE customers to ensure requirements are met
- Proactively prepares status updates and communicates up and down inside the organization
- Looks for ways to improve/optimize the test operations in every way – organization, tools, personnel, methods, procedures, etc.
- BS degree in engineering and significant direct experience with testing or similar technical hands-on experience.
- 5+ years in an operations environment in large industry or aerospace facilities.
- Strong ability and desire to understand complex systems, investigate and solve challenging problems, and work in a dynamic environment.
- Analytical orientation
- A safety mindset.
- Strong, demonstrable Project Management and team leadership skills.
- Works well under pressure and takes initiative to improve existing systems, processes, and documentation.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in applicable commodities and fluid system design.
- Understands hazardous operations and design for system safety
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Budget development and tracking experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in test stand design, operations, and maintenance
- Fluid Systems
- Pressurized Gas Systems
- Instrumentation and controls
- Knowledge of data acquisition and control systems and complex operating software.
- 8 or more years' experience in the design, development, and operation of rocket test facilities or similar experimental research facilities.
- Experience with civil engineering projects and construction management
- Experience in Project Management and familiarity with Primavera P6 or MS Project
- Knowledge of inventory and tracking systems
- Experience with 3D CAD, data management, configuration management, etc.