The project leader is an entry level role in the project management office. This is a role to prepare for project management. Candidates will ideally have 5-10 years of experience in a new product development environment and should be fluent in the happenings in different phases of a project. It is desired that the candidate as spent part of this time as a functional leader within a new product development.
In accordance to the Rockwell Automation Common Product Development process, the project leader will lead, coordinate and manage various smaller new product developments ($500K-$5M in project expense) or co lead larger new product developments ($5-$25M) through all phases of planning, engineering, testing, release and subsequent support. The project leader’s responsibilities will include planning, scheduling and budgeting and leading cross functional teams under the guidance of a more experienced project manager.
The project leader will gain experience in understanding and in some cases identifying and coordinating external resources for product development and factored product acquisitions with domestic and international partners.
The project leader is accountable for results and is responsible for providing updates on project progress.
The project leader will gain exposure to business and marketing strategies and will help optimize the performance of new and existing product lines to achieve financial objectives.
The project leader will be required to gain and demonstrate product knowledge and gain and demonstrate an understanding of business objectives and processes. The project leader will also need to gain and demonstrate an understanding of the portfolio planning process.
Provide project leadership of internal new product developments with direction. Essential functions that the candidate must demonstrate a capacity for will include planning, resourcing, scheduling, project cost forecasting/monitoring, reporting and providing technical coordination guidance across multiple functional areas.
The project leader must demonstrate a capacity to manage human resources (not directly reporting to them) and project finances. The project leader will define a project team's resource requirements which support the project's goals with respect to time, budget and quality through negotiation with resource managers. The project leader will be responsible for financial, applied technology and schedule performance of assigned projects within cost limitations & established standards. The project leader will be responsible for planning project investigations to ultimately create a proper work breakdown structure for assigned projects. The project leader will manages project cost estimates, and manage project risks. \\
The project leader ensures thorough familiarity and compliance with company policies and procedures. The project leader appropriately applies policies and procedures in compliance with government laws. Policies and procedures include, but not limited to: Standards of Business Conduct, Intellectual Property, Control Environment, Information Protection, ISO 9000 & 14000, government regulations (e.g. health, safety, quality and
environmental), and functional policies published on the Rockwell Automation Information Network.
- BS Degree in Engineering discipline or equivalent experience (MS and/or MBA desirable)
- 5+ years of experience in new product development
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- The project leader must be willing to earn and maintain a PMP professional certification
- Show capacity to lead multiple teams, partner with management to resolve conflicts and obtain resources for projects.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate and give presentations to all levels of the organization and also externally.
- Show capacity to direct resources, plan project activity, meet commitments and balance financialbudgets.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of product development process wither within RA or a related industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the responsibilities and contributions of various engineering and business roles within a product development process.
- Technical experience with drives and permanent magnet motor developments is preferred