Engineers and Scientists create our market-leading portfolio of innovations. Join us to make a lasting impact. Help bring the next generation of life-changing medical technology to patients worldwide.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
The Cardiac and Vascular Group brings all of our cardiac and vascular businesses together into one cross-functional, collaborative operating unit to employ the full breadth of our talent, technologies, products, services, and solutions to address the needs of customers and patients across the globe.
The Program Manager is responsible for achieving successful implementation of projects and managing all activities required to define, design, develop and deliver new component products to Medtronic customers. Provides direction and leadership to a cross-functional program development team including members with expertise from all areas involved in product commercialization. The Program Manager is accountable to the MECC Development Review Committee (DRC) for overall program execution. The Program Manager will be responsible for ensuring team commitments (scope, schedule and budget per project contract) are met and communicated in a timely manner.
A Day in the Life:
• Provide critical leadership to ensure overall quality of project planning and execution, while minimizing and mitigating project risks.
• Meet business deliverables defined by the Product Development Process
• Establish best practices for developing, implementing, and maintaining program management processes.
• Develop and maintain detailed project schedule aligned to PDP Phase expectations
• Lead extended cross functional teams to ensure on-time and on-budget performance
• Ensure alignment between operations and the program
• Ensure timely and thorough communication at various levels of the organization (Program Team, Sr. Management, etc.)
Implement and manage tools to measure achievement of the product development process.
• Ensures that products are launched on time and meet established goals and objectives (per project contract) that support the financial and competitive goals of the organization.
• Collaborates with finance to develop the ROI and manages the financial cost modeling.
• Manages and tracks project budget(s) with components that include human resources, increment builds, suppliers, and general expenses to meet established return on investments per project.
• Ensures team deliverables are in compliance with the Product Development Process, and meets the DRC’s expectations.
• Provides feedback to functional department heads during AOP/strategic planning process.
Drive acceptance of project management process and common language on process, program teams, disciplined capacity planning, project complexity and transparency, and risk exposure.
• Manages large cross functional project
• Works with functional areas on initiating, planning, executing, controlling, closing and re-prioritizing projects
• Coaches team members to ensure effective team dynamics and mutual accountability are paramount.
• Coaches team members to ensure process adherence and effective project management, utilizing best practice project management skills, as well as framing and resolving issues through best practices.
• Strong track record of leading complex projects requiring strong influence management skills and willingness and ability to institute change
• Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking, project planning and project management.
• Excellent communication skills and interpersonal/team effectiveness -- ability to succinctly and accurately communicate to various levels of management and employees.
• Exceptional analytical, planning, organization and time management skills to effectively execute project plans and budgets.
• Clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities of cross- functional project teams and functional management
• Exceptional project management skills; knowledge of process and project planning best practices
• Business acumen; ability to think from an overall “best for the business” perspective
• Demonstrates initiative; results oriented.
• Excellent decision making skills -- ability to negotiate and balance decisions and priorities across needs of several functional departments. Makes timely decisions in the face of risk and uncertainty.
• Customer focused in all interactions. Demonstrated ability to understand customer requirements and incorporate into business decisions.
• Requires the ability to negotiate and manage competing priorities across multiple functional areas.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
Responsible for planning, initiating, monitoring, tracking and/or prioritizing engineering team's product development programs or projects and facilitating successful, on-time and within budget execution.
Sets clear direction and management that aligns with defined practices and policies.
Works closely with cross-functional teams to evaluate, develop and manage the design and construction of engineering projects to ensure delivery of a product or computer-based system through the design process, and into a finished state for external customers.
Directs day to day activities for multiple work-stream teams through managing project plans, resourcing, status reporting, resolving issues, identifying project risks and accountability for deliverables across multiple functional organizations.
Establishes meaningful metrics.
Responsible for project performance, risk management, administration, financial management, budgeting, capital planning, forecasting and issue resolution.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience including broad multi-functional business experience along with 5+ years of project and/or people management experience or an MS degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience including broad multi-functional business experience along with 3-5 years of project and/or people management experience