Serve as the company's top technical expert in specified engineering disciplines that are of critical importance to the planning & delivery of assets and Company operations. For assets within assigned area of expertise, develop technical standards, standard specifications, policies and procedures, and approved product/vendor lists. Provide consultancy and quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) during detailed engineering design and provide technical support during construction, commissioning, and initial operation of large and complex capital investment projects addressing water supply, water and wastewater treatment, storage, pumping, and buried infrastructure facilities across the American Water System. Assume lead technical responsibilities for key projects. Supervise internal technical resources and external consulting firms on assigned projects.
- Lead and oversee development of Engineering Standards, specifications, and equipment manufacturer recommendations to support initiatives established by the Regional Engineering Directors and Technical Services function.
- Conduct process evaluations and infrastructure/facility inspections to identify capital improvements necessary to reliably meet future water supply needs via existing or proposed assets and treatment facilities. Provide guidance on the development of design concepts for new or expansion/renovation of existing infrastructure and treatment facilities.
- Provide consultancy and QA/QC review of technical, bidding and contractual documents associated with delivery of critical capital investment projects across American Water. Oversee scope and quality of work to achieve the intent of all design concepts and Company standards for capacity, performance, reliability, safety and regulatory compliance. Serve as technical resource during construction, commissioning and initial operation of assets.
- Participate in special assignments including professional conferences, technical committees, regulatory workshops, technology research, and other matters of strategic interest to help build and maintain Company's positive reputation.
- Assist business development function in pursuit of O&M, acquisitions, and D/B/O contracts relating to assets within area of expertise. Represent the Company in client relations, assist in preparing technical and cost proposals, and provide follow-up engineering services for successful proposals.
- Serve as advisor on matters within assigned discipline, including technical design, maintenance, asset management and operations. Provide in-house technical training, coaching, and development for AW staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering design theory and practice in area of expertise, water resources, water/wastewater facilities and utility maintenance and operations.
- Knowledge of current trends in area of expertise and other aspects of the regulated and non-regulated water industry.
- Quantitative skills (e.g. analytical, technical, problem solving).
- Written and verbal communications (e.g. fluency in report writing andpresentations).
- Interpersonal (e.g. persuasion, negotiation, listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving, internal consulting).
- Leadership presence (e.g. ability to deal effectively and maintain cooperative working relationships with Company senior management and other key stakeholders).
- Effective people management (e.g. planning, organizing, recruiting, controlling, coaching, developing and leading individual staff and teams).
- Minimum 12 years experience in water resources design and project management
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering Advanced management or technical degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Certifications & Licenses:
- Professional Engineer (PE) license required
Up to 20%