1.0 SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Engineering Manager (Manager) leads the effort in designing, and engineering both standard and custom natural gas compressor packages.
It is the job of the Manager to make certain that properly designed and engineered packages are adequately specified for fabrication and assembly, that costs to package are controlled, that changes are properly addressed, and that engineering project schedules are maintained.
The Manager is responsible for ensuring that the engineering workforce is properly sized, skilled, trained, and utilized in order to serve the needs of the company and its customers.
The Manager will participate in the financial planning, review, and control process. The Manager will make recommendations for improvements to the engineering process and the products of the company.
The Manager will work closely with other groups so that the goals of the company can be achieved. Manager is a position that requires a committed individual who is capable of receiving and processing information from a variety of sources, from which decisions critical to the success of the company are made.
A wide degree of creativity and latitude for appropriate decision making is expected of the Manager. The Manager must rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
Essential job duties include:
- Supervise project engineering groups. Ensure scope of supply and schedules are adequately defined, that accurate drawings are issued, that added costs are tracked, that equipment is properly designed, and that the engineering aspects of project schedules are maintained.
- Oversee proper utilization of software systems in relation to change order, cost tracking, bills of material, and design. Make recommendations for modernization and technological improvement as needed.
- Participate as required in the initial review of non-standard application inquiries to assess feasibility based upon our capabilities. Make recommendations as to which custom opportunities we bid and which we reject, taking in to consideration our experience, knowledge, time constrains, and availability of all required resources. (Customer, financial, and market aspects will also be considered when making final decisions.)
- Serve as a technical consultant by addressing issues within customer specifications that are non-value added, contradictory, or less than optimal for the intended purpose. Offer improvements and/or lower cost alternatives as applicable.
- Support the sales force at inquiry, award, and subsequent meetings with customers and serve as a technical representative when needed and delegate as appropriate.
- Serve as primary company contact for all general engineering questions, delegating as appropriate.
- Oversee the review, creation, and maintenance of engineering standards, processes, and procedures. Emphasis will be placed on lowering costs, shortening cycle time, improving serviceability, and increasing throughput and quality.
- Interface with major equipment suppliers so that product knowledge remains current.
- Investigate new suppliers and new products.
- Lead the research and development effort to find new solutions that will result in lowering overall cost without lowering the overall quality. Coordinate activities for financial and technical evaluation of existing and future products. Provide recommendations on existing and future products.
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Work with designers and project engineers to review and verify that the standard and custom specifications are followed, noting and communicating exceptions as appropriate.
- Oversee the application of outsourced technical studies on torsion, vibration, pulsation, and skid design to make certain all packages are properly engineered while also containing costs.
- Lead department in hosting kick-off meetings following award of project to confirm understanding of scope of supply and contractual obligations.
- Assist with start-up issues of new packages to ensure smooth operation and proper installation.
- In conjunction with the quality control effort, conduct on floor inspections to ensure that equipment is being fabricated and assembled as ordered and in compliance with standards, drawings, and specifications. Lead subordinates to do the same.
- In conjunction with production management, review feedback from customers, shop, and field personnel to ensure that designs are easy to build and maintain. Use such feedback to further develop and improve our standards and practices.
- In conjunction with production management, oversee the review of fabrication and assembly hours and material costs to ensure best practices are utilized in estimating and production efforts.
- Support the field service group with cost estimates and engineering of fabricated items for re-work and service projects when beyond the capabilities of business unit personnel.
- Must understand, comply with, and enforce all company guidelines, policies, and practices regarding health, safety, environmental, ethics, and business issues. Must educate work group on the same.
- Make staffing decisions, including new hire, disciplinary action, counseling, advancement, termination, and compensation issues. Will be expected to assemble and organize a work force that can work together effectively towards company goals.
- Assess the skill level of employees. Provide employees with appropriate orientation, feedback, training, and evaluation so that all personnel are properly qualified, directed, and trained to perform their duties effectively, to improve job skills, and to aid in overall career development for each employee.
- Ensure effective employee relations and mediate employee issues through problem resolution.
- Assist supervisor and lead subordinates in improving a system of standard operating procedure, safety, quality, and performance management.
- Continually monitor all aspects of departmental performance, provide regular progress reports to supervisor, and implement action for improvement as needed and as directed.
- Establish, maintain, and review objective measurements of departmental learning and growth, internal process efficiency, customer satisfaction, and financial performance. Generate continual improvement.
- Must be able and willing to work overtime, to travel when and as required, and to handle an appropriate expense account.
- Must professionally represent Company in the community, in industry organizations, and related events.
- Maintain an awareness of high-level corporate goals and initiatives and participate in the development of corporate plans, policies, and procedures as needed.
- Lead other initiatives as directed to enhance the quality of the company’s products and services.
- Otherduties assigned.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor of Science in Engineering is required. (BS Mechanical Engineering is preferred.) Masters degree in a relevant field and Professional Engineer registration in the state of Texas are desirable qualifications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 10 years of experience and proven success in natural gas compressor package engineering.
- 5 years of experience and proven success in all aspects of personnel supervision.
- An energetic, creative, and forward thinking individual with impeccable ethical standards, and ability to see ‘the big picture’, and an ability to properly balance short term needs with long term goals is required.
- Thorough understanding of industry codes. (ISO 13631, API-618, API RP-14C, CFR49.192, NACE MR-01-75, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of piping and pressure vessel codes (ASME Section VIII, ANSI B31.3 & B31.8, etc.) and piping and pressure vessel sizing criteria as related to this industry.
- Thorough understanding of industrial drafting standards, symbols, process, instrumentation, and wiring diagrams.
- Thorough understanding of engine, electric motor, and compressor control systems, selection and application of natural gas compressors.
- Experienced in developing specifications for the design and fabrication of gas compressor packages.
- Experienced in design considerations for vibration, pulsation control, layout, skid construction, and package installation.
- Experienced in evaluation of customer specifications, with aptitude to communicate directly with customers.
- Experienced in quality review of fabricated and assembled equipment, cost review and control, fiscal budgeting, and otherfinancial considerations.
- Experienced in managing an organization as well as supervising people.
- Must be able to comprehend the financial processes of the company and apply understanding to decisions.
- Must be able to achieve positive results in safety, quality, productivity, cost, and employee relations.
- Must be able to comprehend the interdependence of all operations in the production process, then make decisions that lead to the efficient use of available resources while maintaining project scheduled.
- Must have strong computer skills, and ability to effectively operate all required programs and systems.
- Must have strong and effective organizational, documentation, and presentation skills.
- Must be dependable, highly motivated, and self-directed; able to work effectively with little supervision.
- Must have effective communication skills, both oral and written, with an ability and interest to relate to individuals at all levels of internal and external organizations.
- Must be process oriented, able to prioritize, organize, and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to develop and utilize objective performance measurements, goals, and standards.
- Must be able to delegate and efficiently achieve results through others.
- Must have strong leadership skills and a desire to train and develop others.
- Must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills.
Req ID 20121