About the Role:
Technologists at T. Rowe Price are playing a key role in helping build the future of financial services, working hand-in-hand with business partners to create client experiences that are changing the way people invest. We’re looking for a “hands-on” Engineering Manager to join our new Technology Development Center located at 233 Park Avenue South (19th & Park Ave). We want technologists with a fresh perspective who are passionate about solving complex business, data and technical challenges.
You’ll work with smart, talented people across our business to create groundbreaking, next-generation applications for n-tier cloud architectures. You’ll be involved, hands-on, through the entire development cycle. And you’ll redefine the way our traders, portfolio managers and analysts serve our clients.
We will expect you to be agile / to lead / to think outside the box. In return, we’ll give you challenging work that has an impact / Opportunities to learn and grow / and a collaborative culture that encourages every member of our team to bring their point of view to the table—because that’s how we help our clients succeed.
The Engineering Manager – DataLake Team is a newly created position – The Enterprise ArchitectureTechnology Group is working to develop the firm's next generation investments platform, with the aim to seamlessly deliver real-time and on-demand investments data to a global network of distributed trading and research platforms. We are employing new paradigms such as cloud computing, lightweight microservices, and distributed and non-relational databases to deliver elastically scalable, globally distributed and highly resilient software services.
- Ideal candidate will have strong collaboration skills as well as possess statistical, mathematical, predictive modelling and business strategy skills to build the algorithms necessary to ask the right questions and find the right answers.
- Equally important to possessing strong technical skills, the ideal candidate will be a strong communicator able to communicate their findings, orally and visually. They need to understand how the products are developed and even more important, as big data touches the privacy of consumers, they need to have a set of ethical responsibilities.
- Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process.
- Exceptional technology skills; recognized by your peers as an expert in your domain.
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review or pairing, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches.
- Seeks data from, gains opinions on industry trends, issues and solutions. Formally or informally benchmarks IT’s processes, vendor experiences and priorities against other organizations in the industry. Takes appropriate actions as a result.
- Directly and indirectly leads a team of software engineers in the development and implementation of solutions and applications across the firm
- Monitors and motivates team members work performance through coaching, one on ones, and development planning
- Access the validity and rigor of new data sources and approaches, and the capabilities of potential solutions.
- Oversee data-focused initiatives already in place and being developed, and drive developments in advancing big-data and analytic services.
- Develop and improve methods for measuring the impact of Sales and Marketing content driven campaigns.
- Establish measurement approaches to assess relative performance of advertising strategies within our sales and marketing channels.
Required Technical Experience:
- Strong experiencedesigning and implementing systems in Java, C#, C++ or equivalent object oriented language
- Use of design patterns
- Experience in automated testing, continuous integration, continuous deployment
- Previous experience providing coaching and mentoring to team members in order to deliver quality service and solutions to business customers
- Experience in working with large structured and unstructured data sets
- Understanding of Hadoop, Hive and/or MapReduce
Required Domain Experience and Soft Skills:
- Ability to successfully partner and communicate with all levels of an organization
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively both with IT, with business management and a demonstrated ability to influence and impact the business
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge relationships resulting in successful partnerships
- Strong negotiation skills, business acumen and customer focused
- Experience within Asset Management, Hedge fund or Investment Bank
- Confident communicator; able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
- Enthusiasm for learning & results oriented
- Strong academic record and a BA/BS degree with high mathematical and computing content (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics)
T. Rowe Price is an Equal Opportunity Employer