We're looking for an engineering manager to lead our SRE Core team within Infrastructure Engineering. This team's mission is to:
- Ensure our core infrastructure is reliable, performant, cost-effective, and secure.
- Seek simplicity through standardization to minimize operational overhead, and maximize our product engineering teams ability to deliver new features and services efficiently.
- Empower product engineering teams to take on as much production ownership for their services as possible.
We strive to create "Paved Roads": standard production-ready technology that all of our engineering teams can leverage to deliver value quickly. We do this with modern technologies like Docker and Kubernetes, and following best practices like immutability and infrastructure as code with Terraform and Chef. And we do it all by nurturing high trust relationships with the rest of our engineering teams we serve.
A key part of your role on the team will be that of 'player-coach,' working alongside some of your direct reports while also carving out time to help direct and support their professional development. While you should be excited about writing and shipping production-level code and systems, we want you to be equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as stellar engineers.
We are looking for a creative, collaborative, highly motivated, and strong technical leader to help build highly reliable and scalable solutions for our engineering org. If you are passionate about DevOps, excited to guide other engineers with their careers, and want to be on a team that has a huge impact across all of engineering, we'd love to talk with you!
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout's New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Develop and deploy changes to production systems.
- Receive feedback on pull requests and actively pair with teammates.
- Become familiar with how we use key technologies such as Terraform, Chef, and Kubernetes.
- Shadow a team member for an on-call rotation.
- Review the team's mission and goals for the year.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Join our on-call rotation (don't worry we've got your back!)
- Help promote DevOps culture by working with engineers to assume operational ownership.
- Collaborate with your team members and fellow developers to deliver value to our users.
- Engage regularly with the team and Infrastructure Director to prioritize upcoming project work to align with longer term goals.
- Gain familiarity with our platform architecture.
- Contribute to our team's culture of continuous improvement through retros and experimentation-oriented thinking.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Regularly collaborate with the team to identify technical debt and come up with a plan to improve, and weave that work in with projects.
- Meet with direct reports regularly and provide them with direct feedback on their work as well as formulating career growth plans.
- Participate in Engineering management discussions in order to learn from peer managers and to share lessons learned.
- Build relationships with product engineering teams to understand their pain points, and the value their software delivers for our customers.
- Build your engineering skills by attending in-house presentations, workshops, and training sessions.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and work towards it.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Lead the team to solidify our Kubernetes offerings across engineering to enable teams to deliver value quickly without being a blocker.
- Help enable teams to manage their own infrastructure costs.
- Guide the team to reduce toil both within and outside Infrastructure through automation.
- Complete career ladder and performance review evaluations for your direct reports.
- Actively mitigate risk of failed delivery and missed deadlines through courageous, transparent communication with colleagues and stakeholders throughout a project life cycle.
- Mentor engineers, helping them level up technically.
- Build connections with members from other teams through active networking and community building.
- Have opportunities to contribute to in-house technical presentations and workshops that share your expertise with large groups of Sprout developers.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven't even considered yet.