The Position Who We Are
Twitter's globally distributed, real-time communications network generates trillions of events and petabytes of data per day. The Realtime Storage Group provides the storage layer that enables products and services at Twitter to be fast, highly scalable, and always available. We own Manhattan, an internally-developed distributed, persistent key-value store for low-latency high-throughput use cases and we are in the process of bringing a whole new storage offering - CockroachDB to accelerate our customers at Twitter in their hybrid cloud environment. Our goal with CockroachDB is for it to become the default strongly consistent database at Twitter and the first choice database for customers in the hybrid cloud. To handle this scale, we build world-class distributed storage solutions that help serve critical Twitter services with low latency across cloud and on-premise environments. We run tens of thousands of database nodes that process hundreds of millions of requests per second and we regularly push the limits of scale and performance of our databases.What You'll Do
Qualifications Who you are
- Lead a team of engineers launching a new strategic initiative to offer a new mainstream storage solution that is expected to play a dominant role in accelerating our customers' products in our data centers, GCS and AWS. Running and driving the strategy to make CockroachDB generally available at Twitter, drive adoption and make it the default strongly consistent offering at Twitter. Work with multi cloud ready, container ready, large scale distributed database systems, optimized for low latency vital for making Twitter real-time.
- Be a key contributor to realizing the recently signed Twitter AWS partnership by enabling CockroachDB to work seamlessly across on-prem and cloud environments and interoperability with other datastores.
- Be the first to migrate stateful services to Kubernetes at our scale.
- Shape the future strategy of Twitter's distributed storage by making buy vs build decisions in a highly fragmented and changing landscape of solutions.
- Build strong relationships with partners and key customers and communicate fearlessly with them to build trust.
- An experienced manager of software engineers who believe your success is measured by the success of your team.
- You have a strong software distributed systems and coding background and are comfortable jumping into technical discussions. Experience with storage or distributed systems on Kubernetes is a plus.
- You are confident in challenging the status quo by asking hard questions while being highly collaborative and open to input.
- A skilled communicator and facilitator with experience driving collaboration with remote teams and cross-functional partners.
- Engineer management experience of at least 2 years and demonstrated ability in leading teams of 7+ ICs in size.
- Prior experience with distributed systems at scale.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated track record of executing upon strategic vision.
- Demonstrated track record of collaborating with leadership and peers.
- Demonstrated track record of leading the teams to ship quality code reliably.
- Demonstrated track record of mentoring and growing teams with varying levels of experience, background and skills.
- Demonstrated track record of creating diverse teams.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or related field is desired.
Twitter is what's happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We believe real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.Additional Information
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.