Careers that Change Lives
A Day in the Life of the Engineering Manager
The Engineering Manager will be responsible for leading cross-functional teams and delivering major site-wide engineering manufacturing transfer projects on time, on budget, with high quality, while achieving the desired outcomes.
The candidate should have strong interpersonal skills to be able to interface with various departments including Operations, Quality, and R&D and other Medtronic sites. The ideal candidate will have formal project management skills and demonstrated strong leadership skills in an operations environment, with advanced understanding of manufacturing, process engineering, quality assurance, and supply chain. Positive attitude, with demonstrated ability to mobilize and inspire others.
Ability to travel up to 25% of their time during peak project periods.
Responsibilities may include the following, other duties may be assigned.
- Lead assigned program and/or project teams through the use of a standardized framework (gated process) intended to create the project work breakdown structure, resource assignments and schedule that will be used to drive and monitor project activities.
- Sending Site Leader for Arctic Fuego
- Direct supervision of engineers and technical personnel working on transfer projects
- MMO Representative on Harmonization project
- Engage and collaborate with the broader organization to construct and monitor cross-functional teams and functionally-integrated project schedules.
- Provide timely and effective project progress/status to senior management and relevant internal and external stakeholders through regular communications and review meetings.
- Manage the daily execution on assigned programs/projects with regard to team activities, time, resources, scope, quality, risk and change management.
- Identify and remove obstacles early. Escalate obstacles that cannot be removed.
- Responsible for program risk identification and mitigation activities.
- Manage the resource allocation process, ensuring that adequate time is allowed in team member resource loading to accommodate all activities associated to the overseen projects.
- Contributes to, and leads when required, technical decisions based on broad understanding of products and of ongoing improvement activities.
- Coaches the team in the application of project management tools and techniques.
- Enables and contributes to strategic direction of the project (quality, cost, and timeliness).
Environment, Health, and Safety [EHS]
- Manages, maintains, and enforces the Medtronic EHS Management System for his/her team.
- Provides information, guidelines and supervision to protect the health and safety of his/her employees.
- Responsible for implementing corrective and preventative action plans in a timely manner.
- Conducts (with other members of the department) annual reviews, to ensure its continued suitability, adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency.
- In the case of a workplace injury, must ensure medical attention is provided and must report the circumstances of the injury within 24 hours.
- Must be familiar with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations and the Medtronic health and safety policies and procedures
- Site leadership and managers, cross-functional BU partners in all functions, BU and Ops Senior Leadership, external partners (other MDT sites, suppliers, etc…)
- Projects / project milestones achieved on time, on budget, with desired effect on the business. Strong and timely communication of progress, issues / issue resolution, etc…
Bachelor of engineering degree.
10+ years manufacturing experience preferably in a regulated industry (Medical devices, Aerospace).
5+ years Project Managementexperience, delivering complex multi-functional projects on time and on budget.
3 years of People Management experience
Advanced user of MS Project.
Excellent problem solving skills.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral & written) in English and French.
Strong influencing and presentation skills.
Ability to function in a self-directed manner with a high degree of independence.
Ability to co-ordinate all aspects of a project requiring interaction with other departments (teamwork and cooperation).
Demonstrated success leading cross-functional teams and/or matrix organizations.
Project Management certification (PMP or similar).
Green Belt certification is highly desirable.
Demonstrated business process improvement skills with the application of Lean, Six Sigma, or related methodologies to lead and manage change.
A working knowledge of the following: FDA 21CFR820; Quality System Regulation; ISO 13485; ISO 14971* Medical Device Directive; and, applicable Harmonization Standards that apply to medical device and pharmaceutical industry preferred.