We are building the future of freight
Mothership's groundbreaking technology is unlocking the world's potential by making freight delivery more efficient. Founded in 2017, we're backed by some of venture capital's best investors and have already become the logistics backbone for many of today's most innovative companies.
As an Engineering Manager on the External Products team, you'll get to develop the architecture of our public-facing services that empower our integrated customers with the capabilities to manage the entire lifecycle of freight logistics.
The ideal candidate for this role has recent hands-on experience in leading a team of engineers in designing, building, and iterating on scalable back-end systems and critical business logic. We're looking for an engineer who our passion for delighting customers with incredible software. Our team works in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, so great communication skills and a willingness to take risks and push boundaries are a must.
What you'll get to do
- Grow and lead a powerful team of talented engineers in building modern technologies
- Design and implement public-facing APIs that allow shippers to integrate with our software
- Collaborate with senior leadership, product managers, and engineering pods across Mothership to develop the strategy for the Integrations Team
- Architect modern solutions to challenges interacting with legacy systems
- Build for scalability, as we rapidly expand our network of carriers and partners
- Implement features to enhance our sophisticated freight management system and our integrations with third-party freight carriers
- Mentor other engineers and take ownership of the products you build
What success looks like in this role
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Computer Science or equivalent
- 6+ years overall experience, 3 years in leadership
- Experience in a leadership role at either a well-established organization or at a high-growth company
- Technical capacity to partner with cross-functional tech leads and comfortable being hands-on in all areas of the product stack (frontend, backend, data)Significant experience developing customer-facing products
- Ability to rapidly iterate on product features and enjoy working in an environment with a strong sense of urgency
- Significant experience developing software incrementally with continuous development and deployment
- Demonstrable experience with the full lifecycle of developing public APIs, including update, replacement, and deprecation
- Strong product mindset with the desire to build next-generation customer experiences
- Ability to architect simple, modular, and scalable solutions in microservice environments
- Experience working in a fast-paced and execution-focused environment
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to both professionals and non-specialists
- Strong, recent hands-on experience with NodeJS and TypeScriptFamiliarity with building and distributing Electron applications is a plus
- Familiarity with real-time pub/sub-services such as Kafka is a plus
Technologies we're working with
Benefits & Perks
- Highly competitive salary and the opportunity to earn employee stock options
- Full health, dental and vision insurance coverage (PPO)
- 401k (4% matching)
- Unlimited paid time off
- Equipped with the latest technology
- Remote workplace stipend
Culture at Mothership
We're an ambitious, endlessly curious, and open-minded group. Our team is passionate about our mission and eager to produce work at the highest level. The environment is upbeat and supportive because we care about each other and believe positive momentum equals better outcomes.
If this sounds like a place you'd be a great addition to, let's chat.