VTS is changing the way that commercial real estate (CRE) is done—disrupting a $15 trillion industry by becoming the modern operating system for CRE. We invented the category of leasing and asset management, which allows landlords and brokers to take their entire leasing process online to maximize revenue and performance. Last year, we launched the fastest adopted new product in proptech, VTS Market. Rise Buildings by VTS is leading an entirely new category of software - tenant experience. We also recently launched VTS Data, already getting front-page references in the Wall Street Journal and quoted by Reuters, The Real Deal, Commercial Observer, and many more. Our success shows in our numbers—we hit "Unicorn" status in 2019 and today we have over 12 billion square feet of commercial space managed on VTS on 80,000 buildings in 34 countries, and we've expanded to over 400 employees globally. It's an exciting time to join the VTS team as we continue to grow rapidly and break records.
Our headquarters are in NYC, but we have major hubs in other cities including Chicago, IL, Toronto, CA, and London, UK.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Our mission is to be Commercial Real Estate's modern operating system, the place where deals happen, customer relationships are nourished, and real-time market data comes to life. We're growing at an incredible pace and are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing team in Toronto.
The Engineering Manager will be responsible for helping guide a team's direction, roadmap, and recruiting while driving efficient engineering processes and coaching team members.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Grow and develop an incredible team of talented and motivated engineers with high expectations around ownership and impact
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies VTS' values
- Ensure your team delivers extraordinary output, and continuously seeks ways to make an outsized impact
- Run and continuously improve an agile engineering process that empowers engineers with the context, autonomy, and tools needed to do their best work, and promotes shipping high-quality products efficiently and predictably
- Jointly own the teams' execution and delivery of the product roadmap in partnership with the Product Manager
- Partner with engineering leadership in Toronto and New York to formulate technical strategy and align teams with company objectives
- Work with leadership to identify strategic technology investments required to support business objectives, and ensure those projects are properly prioritized and delivered
- Ensure VTS is well represented in and enriches Toronto's engineering community via events, content, open-source contributions, etc.
- Partner with our recruiting team to source, recruit and onboard talent to VTS
- Coach and mentor individual team members, creating a structured environment and feedback loop that supports career development and high engagement
- 3+ years of management experience with an engineering team
- Strong technical background with experience building, shipping, and maintaining mobile applications (iOS and/or Android) as a software engineer
- You have strong experience operating in complex tech organizations making use of agile methodologies and tools to build the product for users at scale
- Motivated, self-starter with a passion for building and growing teams
- You have a strong track record leading teams, building and fostering collaborative cultures that deliver complex, high-quality products
- Provide clear, consistent leadership, management, and mentoring for direct reports and the broader technology organization
- Inspire, empower and motivate your teams, leading by example
- Ability to manage globally distributed teams on different time zones
- You have excellent communication, coaching, mentoring, and teaching skills.
- You have a technical background. You should be able to dive into technical problems and coach, challenge and lead as needed
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative, cross-discipline environment
- Strong customer empathy and a focus on quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You'll need to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
ABOUT OUR TEAM:
- We have a 60+ person engineering team distributed across NY and Toronto.
- We work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on automated testing and CI
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- Our stack: Swift, Kotlin, Ruby on Rails, React, Postgres, AWS, Kafka, Apache Spark
- Learn more about us on our
WE TAKE CARE OF YOU:
- Competitive compensation packages, including equity
- Great medical, vision, dental, and commuter benefits
- Generous family policies
- Training and career development programs for everyone
- A company that embraces and celebrates diversity
- Unlimited vacation policy
What VTS Values & How We Show It:
- Strive for Excellence - We know your potential is unlimited. Take advantage of our executive coaches and our training and career development programs available to all employees!
- Be Customer Obsessed - We're employee obsessed too! VTS offers competitive compensation, comprehensive health benefits (including dental and vision), pre-tax commuter benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Not to mention the fun stuff - monthly happy hours, wellness events, clubs, and team lunches!
- Be Curious - Benefit from a culture that promotes new learning. VTS offers an education stipend to all employees!
- Move as One - We work in an open floor plan to promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Take Ownership - Be an owner of the company you're building with our equity packages.
- Appreciate the Difference - VTS embraces and celebrates diversity. We understand the importance of a strong work-life balance. We offer a flexible PTO policy, generous family leave program, and more!
VTS is proud to operate an equal opportunity workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnic origin, creed, place of origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know at