Engineering Manager, Mobile Learner Experience
Engineering • Mountain View, CA
Coursera’s mission is to transform lives by providing access to the world's best education.
Engineers on the Mobile Learner Experience team build a wide variety of products devoted to helping learners succeed by letting them learn on the go. Our team builds products that intelligently motivate our users to learn daunting subjects and complete despite the difficulty of making time to learn and study. Offline support, peer reviews, note taking, and determining which item a learner should do next are all examples of exciting projects we embark on to fulfill our team goals.
We build native apps on iOS and Android using Swift and Kotlin respectively. We use a variety of cutting-edge technologies in our web stack: Scala, ReactJS, Node.js, Cassandra, Solr, Kafka, MySQL, Elastic MapReduce and more. We also focus on improving as a technical leaders by learning from each other through extensive code reviews, publishing tech blog posts and attending / presenting at conferences.
We are searching for a hands-on engineering manager to grow and lead a sub-team of 5+ engineers within the Learner Experience team. Our product teams are fundamentally collaborative, working very closely with designers and PMs in all aspects of product prioritization and development. The idealcandidate has a technical background doing mobile product engineering work in the past, as well as 2+ years of technical management experience.
You personally exhibit a conviction that the world needs Coursera to be wildly successful and alignment to our core values:
- Betterment: a tireless pursuit to drive results
- Boldness: take risks and act decisively
- Deep Honesty: invite and offer candid feedback in order to learn, change, and grow
- Solidarity: recognize that we are part of something bigger than ourselves and are committed to our mission
- Mentoring. Acting as a role model, aiding in career development conversations, inspiring engineers, providing feedback.
- Hiring. Building a vision of team skillsets, identifying key growth areas, managing hiring pipeline.
- Advising. Providing technical suggestions to engineers as they grow into engineering leaders in their product work.
- Project management. Acting as a curator of a vision, discussing needs with stakeholders, prioritizing, driving forward on key initiatives, running sprint planning meetings and standups.
- Mediating. Investigating interpersonal issues, facilitating crucial conversations.
- Leadership (integrity, transparency, inspiration)
- Emotional intelligence (empathy, humility, patience, communication skills)
- Problem-solving (creativity, technical rigor, intelligence)
- Excellence in ambiguous and complex situations (clarity of vision, boldness, grit)
- Experience (5+ years in product development or related field, 2+ years in management like positions)