Careers that Change Lives
Engineers are indispensable to achieving our Mission. That's why we empower you to bring the best of your experience to bear on our market-leading portfolio of innovations. Apply your existing skills and develop new ones, with the training, mentorship and the guidance you need to continue to develop your expertise. With roles in specific business units, as well as at the corporate level, you're sure to find an opportunity to make an impact that's right for you.
Today, we're partnering across the industry to confront systemic healthcare challenges - this requires bold leadership. If you want a challenging, energizing, rewarding career that changes lives, join us. Help us bring the next generation of life-changing medical technology to patients worldwide. A Day in the Life
In this exciting role as Engineering Manager for Esophageal Motility & Reflux Systems and Instruments, you will have responsibility for leading a talented engineering team that supports new product development of esophageal endoscopic diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices for the Gastrointestinal Operating Unit.
With direct responsibility for an R&D engineering team that can include capabilities to design hardware, software, and minimally invasive catheters/devices, you and your team will be involved in technology discovery, concept identification and product that address customer and clinical needs, and collaboration with cross functional groups and program managers to bring new products from concept to commercialization. Gastrointestinal Operating Unit
The GASTROINTESTINAL Operating Unit (GI OU) specializes in detection, prevention, and treatment of gastrointestinal cancers and chronic diseases by commercializing transformational technologies that improve patient management and standards of care, while increasing access to our innovations across the globe. The GI OU offers a complete line of solutions that spans the continuum of care that provide early detection and treatment of diseases, and reduce complications to accelerate recovery. We focus on expanding global access to our therapies that improve clinical outcomes. Key product lines within the GI OU are the BARRX™, BEACON™, MANOSCAN™, and PILLCAM™ families of products, and other products related to Gastrointestinal disease.
Leadership and Talent Management
- This position is a people management role that must focus on managing performance, developing talent, engagement and inclusion, communicating business and operational developments, planning, prioritizing and / or directing the responsibilities of direct reports.
- Accountability for mentoring, developing and coaching staff on meeting/exceeding performance expectations. Conducting performance reviews, and staff 1:1s to guide performance and employee development efforts and manage toward departmental goals.
- Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure ensure team attains and maintains outstanding technical engineering and product development capability.
New Product Development
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Guides the conceptualization of new methodologies, materials, machines, processes for new product designs through the technical engineering of hardware, software and minimally invasive mechanical and/or energy-based devices.
- Ensures that the development of new products from initial design to market release follows and fulfills design control requirements per relevant procedures, medical device regulations, guidance documents, and medical industry standards.
- Plans, designs, reviews and oversees feasibility testing studies to determine if the design is capable of functioning as intended, and pre-clinical studies to verify safety and validate performance requirements.
- Ensures documentation maintenance throughout all phases of research and development.
- May develop, evaluate, implement and maintain technical quality assurance and control systems or reliability systems and standards pertaining to materials, techniques, or company products.
- Oversees the investigation and evaluation of existing technologies.
- Organizes the coordination of activities with outside suppliers and consultants to ensure timely delivery.
- Supports design related CAPAs through technical expertise and problem-solving skills
Nice to Have
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
To be considered for this role, please ensure the minimum requirements are evident on your resume.
- B.Sc., preferably M.Sc., in engineering or science discipline.
- 7+ years of technical and product development experience with medical devices that include minimally invasive devices such as catheters or surgical tools, preferably used within a system that also includes electronic hardware and software.
- Requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one job area.
- Typically has advanced knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with understanding of the impact of work on other areas of the organization.
- Requires a Baccalaureate degree (or for degrees earned outside of the United States, a degree which satisfies the requirements of 8 C.F.R. § 214.2(h)(4)(iii)(A)
- Requires a minimum of 5 years relevant experience, or an advanced degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Proven experience as an excellent people leader managing a technical team to execute projects while motivating and developing them.
- Experience in implementing system engineering best practices
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, quantitative analysis, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated strong business acumen and planning
- Demonstrated excellent downward, lateral, and upward communication skills (oral/presentation and written).
- Demonstrated high degree of initiative and influence management skills
- Knowledge of US and international medical device regulations and standards
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future. Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)