The Media Technologies Backend team owns the services that handle Twitter media, including images, video-on-demand, live broadcasting, and real time communication. With services running in Twitter’s data centers and AWS across 14 points of presence, we power ingest, processing, transcoding and transmuxing, and delivery for 100s of millions of users. The ads and partnerships derived from the media that our systems power generate two thirds of Twitter’s revenue.
Our team consists of about 10 mostly staff-level engineers who have a skillset that combines media engineering -- knowledge of codecs, streaming protocols and packaging formats -- and distributed systems. Geographically, we’re split between the west coast of the US and London. As Twitter continues to invest in media experiences and in accelerating its development velocity, we expect the team to grow.
What You’ll Do
- You will lead a team of 10-12 software engineers.
- You will oversee coaching, provide technical mentorship, and handle performance management for your direct reports.
- You will work with product management and the team to define technical roadmaps, and plan and track quarterly goals for the team.
- You will represent the team in various technical and non-technical contexts to the rest of the organization and the company.
- You will take responsibility for the group’s technical strategy, architecture, and roadmap by defining success metrics in close collaboration with the team and other engineering and product leaders.
- You will guide the team and encourage a growth mindset as it continues to evolve its work culture and technical processes.
- You will use hands-on knowledge of media and distributed systems engineering to make decisions and help the team make decisions.
- You will prioritize the team’s roadmap across feature work, operational improvements, and tech debt categories based on your technical evaluation of current operational and code maintainability state.
Who You Are
An experienced media software engineer at heart that has intentionally transitioned to people management and is looking for a new challenge. The ideal candidate is looking for an engineering management position that provides challenges around keeping a distributed team healthy and happy, managing stakeholders, maintaining a large portfolio of services with a relatively small team, and hitting a fine balance between investing in foundational infrastructure and new features.
- Are a strong believer in servant leadership, and are there first and foremost to bring the best out of other people
- Are an engineer at your core, and have technical depth that lets you understand and earn the respect of world-class engineers
- Have a track record of leading and managing engineering teams that are highly cohesive, have low attrition, and rate themselves as very healthy
- Thrive on leveraging data to make decisions, but can rely on intuition when obtaining data is not feasible
- Are relentless on prioritization, comfortable with pushing back, and able to juggle responsibilities and wear different hats throughout the day.
- Excel at communication, and can explain complex technical issues accurately to technical and non-technical audiences
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering as an individual contributor and/or people manager
- 3+ years of people management experience