Engineering Manager, Machine Learning - Health
The Health ML engineering team is responsible for building scalable detection systems that keep spam, manipulation, and abuse at bay. We use ML and relevance techniques to make Twitter safer and limit the spread of misinformation on the platform. Our team works across the product to detect abusive users and content, increase action on abusive accounts, drive a change in user behavior, and detect and remediate accounts that are violating the terms of service on Twitter.
We develop, maintain, and contribute to several machine learning models and systems, including:
- Models that detect unwanted interactions
- Models to prioritize human review of accounts violating Twitter's policies to more quickly take action and limit their damage
- Detection of bots that misuse the platform or spread misinformation
- Detection of repeat abusive offenders who create new accounts after being suspended
What You’ll Do
We believe passion and personality matter. We look for someone who can lead teams of diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements. We need leaders who take active roles in shaping the future of Twitter engineering while embodying our core values. A successful engineering manager will:
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems.
- Build cohesive, high-functioning teams that thrive in a culture of trust, respect, and inclusion.
- Balance autonomy with guidance by giving your teams the tools, context, confidence, and motivation to make decisions effectively and independently.
- Have the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and be comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of bad incidents.
- Take responsibility for the group’s short-term and long-term strategy. Define the team's roadmap, success metrics, and priorities in close collaboration with other engineering teams and multi-functional partners. Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our users and customers.
- Initiate collaboration across Engineering, Product, Design, Research, User Services, Trust & Safety, Legal, and Comms to develop high quality end-to-end user experiences and inspire your team to independently do the same.
- Work closely with the Twitter recruiting team to hire high-potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Who You Are
- You have experience leading a team of 4-8 engineers with responsibility for machine learning, experimentation, and distributed systems in production.
- You have knowledge of and experience with techniques used in data processing, machine learning, information retrieval, recommendation systems, or natural language processing.
- You are skilled at coaching and guiding your directs through their career development.
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale.
- You have a collaborative working style with a strong focus on disciplined execution and results.
- You like to ground decisions in data and reasoning and solve root causes of problems rather than surface issues.
- You are adept at communicating relevant information clearly and concisely.
- You look ahead to identify opportunities and foster a culture of innovation.