HPE is looking for an experienced engineering manager to be part of a world-class team responsible for delivering systems software on a variety of hardware and software platforms. Our customers run their mission-critical IT infrastructure on our platform, so quality of delivery through good design, test and release practices is essential for success.
The release engineering team is responsible for developing and maintaining Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery systems, source control, build services, and deployment pipelines for the HPE SimpliVity R&D organization. The team uses cutting-edge technologies to automate release engineering activities in support of all R&D teams. The successful candidate will be able to lead a team supporting a complex CI/CD environment, understand and extend the development and staging environments, and continually improve our systems through evaluation, recommendation, and new development. The primary focus of the team is to provide operational supportrequired to build, maintain and release the SimpliVity OmniStack product.
- Provides direct and ongoing leadership for a team of individual contributors designing and developing new products, enhancements and updates. and coordinating projects for systems software, including operating systems, compliers, networking, utilities, databases, and Internet-related tools.
- Manages headcount, deliverables, schedules, and costs for multiple ongoing projects, ensuring that resources are appropriately allocated and that goals, objectives, timelines, and budgets are met in accordance with program and organizational roadmaps.
- Communicates project status and escalates issues to direct managers, program managers, and internal and external development partners.
- Manages relationships with outsourced partners and suppliers, including setting expectations regarding deliverables, product quality, schedules, and costs; ensures that team members are effectively communicating and collaborating with outsourced resources.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for process improvement and cost reductions opportunities.
- Provides people-care management for assigned team members, including hiring, setting and monitoring of annual performance plans, coaching, and career development; ensures that proper knowledge and career development tools are in place to support ongoing team member and process development.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
- Typically 5 or more years of related work experience, including 2+ years of people management experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong leadership skills, including coaching, team-building, and conflict resolution.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including negotiation, presentation, and influence skills, plus mastery of English.
- Advanced business acumen, technical knowledge, and extensive knowledge in software development applications, technologies, and methodologies.
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
Additional Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience working in an Agile / Scrum software development environment.
- Experience administrating and integrating development tools.
- Experience with source code management tools (preferably Git and BitBucket).
- Experience with defect tracking tools (preferably JIRA).
- Experience with continuous integration tools (preferably Jenkins).
- Strong experience with Linux.
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle, particularly using Agile methodologies