- Job ID: 18017268
WHAT WE’RE ABOUT:
At Citi, we believe in using the power of modern engineering technologies and practices to improve people’s lives. Increasingly, with the adoption of smart phones and watches and the cloud-based computing solutions that back them, individuals carry their compute capabilities on their person allowing them to manage the transactions that make up their lives in the moment and as they see fit. Our mobile first banking strategy was established to ensure that we embrace this change, leap frogging traditional banking paradigms to drive the creation of the bank of tomorrow. No mean feat. To advance this change, we’ve spun up a couple of internal initiatives, Agile Citi and Citi FinTech, aimed at demonstrating how independent teams using best of breed technical platforms, development tools and techniques can significantly reduce the time it takes to move from definition to production while increasing product quality, table stakes for solutions that operate in the world of personal finance. Agile Citi is a dramatic re-envisioning of traditional monolithic mainframe banking systems leveraging best of breed open source cloud computing capabilities to create functionally discreet micro services. Established as a startup in late 2015, Citi FinTech is the internal future-forward competitor designed to ensure that our customers always have the very best capabilities the financial industry has to offer available at their fingertips by creating an ecosystem of collaborative financial web services.At Citi, we believe in the bank of tomorrow. And we believe ruthless backlog prioritization, incremental delivery and short-interval scheduling are the tools that will take us there.
We are searching for a certain kind of person who is excited by the idea of owning; people who like to build new platforms, features and services. This position requires collaboration with UX designers, product managers, technical program managers, and partner teams. You should be comfortable with ambiguity with a desire to create, iterate and improve.
As an Engineering Manager for Citi Fintech/Agile Citi, you’ll be expected to help empower this transformation towards innovative technical thought leadership and cutting-edge application development approaches. In this position, you will manage an agile team of engineers to create feature rich, efficient, and scalable applications. The right person will be passionate about technology, scalability and the web and have strong technical and managerial skills to help design, build, and review the team's implementations. You should be comfortable conducting design and code reviews within the engineering team and leading and vetting designs across partner technical teams and with business leaders. You should be able to get into the details of our solutions, guide implementation, and take end-to-end ownership of systems in coordination with your peers in the product management and operations.
- ·Own your solutions from product to production. Be educated and opinionated about product requirements and direction and authoritative on the architecture of your services.
- ·Good problem solving skills and mature decision making. You get in, understand the problems and are able to help craft the solutions. You know how to make the tradeoffs and how to explain them.
- ·Establish collaborative and productive relationships with product management, governance, UX design, vendors and other supporting teams.
- ·Foster an environment of engineering excellence and innovation. Insist on designing to the edge.
- ·Be the scrum master for your team. Own planning, standups, demos, retrospectives and the execution of your sprints.
- ·Keep technical debt in check. Standardize the process for collecting compromises and tradeoffs and ensure appropriate prioritization and resolution.
- ·Ensure teams are building using modern practices and tools. Recognize and act of your responsibility for driving change for the entire development community.
- ·Cultivate operational excellence within your teams. Understand SLAs and how your systems are performing in relation to them. Ensure your systems self-report breaches and understand root cause. Insist that your teams provide timely resolution of identified production defects.
- ·Mentor and grow your people. Create an environment of individual accountability. People grow to meet expectations. Yours should be high.
· 5+ years of software industry experience
· 3 + years of experience leading technical professionals (software developers, development managers, and/or technical program managers)
· Proven experience in project management of multiple initiatives with competing priority and disparate resourcing
· Hands on experience with agile software development methodologies
· BA/BS degree required, advanced degree is preferred in CS or related field
· Experience managing teams delivering mobile and/or cloud-based solutions
· Customer–focused mindset, taking pride in creating an informative data-driven journey
· 10+ years of software industry experience
· Experience with customer co-creation processes and usability testing
· Strong business and technical vision