If you are interested in being central to growing some of the bigger brands in travel and work with a team filled with fire and action to make things happen, then this position will challenge your leadership skills as you work with senior brand leadership, build teams from the ground up & help serve a group of engineers to accelerate to the future of online travel.
The Expedia Lodging Shopping team builds customer facing experiences in our hotel shopping path by constantly A/B testing new and improved ways of shopping for the next stay at exciting destinations. We are constantly improving the experience on desktop and mobile web through improved interactions with filters, images, information layout and much more.
This team specifically will work on brand differentiation for comet. The comet group is a collection of some of the largest travel brands such as Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheaptickets and more. You will lead a team tasked to build innovative set of features to be able to connect Brand Promise for each one of the brands that the comet group focuses to grow.
We don't just innovate in the user interface; the engineering team is committed to innovating and pushing the bounds of continuous delivery. We ship to customers weekly and constantly strive to improve our delivery. Improving means constantly learning and making mistakes, something our team embraces. We rigorously use data and experiments to validate our hypothesis about customer behavior — this is how we settle on features to build and how effective our contributions are.
You will collaborate with software engineers, program managers, product managers, data analysts, data scientists, engineering leaders & business development managers to deliver critical business applications and build products to improve our existing infrastructure. Most of our software is JVM based uses Scala, Java, Java script frameworks, Spring MVC, Spring boot deployed using docker based images, we use Kafka, RabbitMQ, Redis, MongoDB among other technologies.
- Lead a team of Engineers in implementing high quality and scalable services to support existing/new functionality, UI updates to ensure that the brands are true to their promise, identify gaps in existing infrastructure & take charge of implementing new as needed to drive brand growth.
- Maintain a high performing team and focus on growing the team members as we grow the business
- Contribute and work very closely with comet leadership team as well as the wider Expedia engineering leadership team
- Run the development, testing and implementation of software that meets established specifications on time and budget.
- Apply industry standards and utilize new technologies to improve productivity, quality, and system performance.
- Work closely with development, program management, test, operations, and product management to define & build roadmap
- Ensure that features deployed have technical integrity and stability.
- Lead both technical leads and individual contributors, including ongoing training and development performance evaluations, coaching, recruiting, and disciplinary actions.
- Improve platform by integrating existing technology, building new technology, and/or helping evaluate 3rd party solutions.
- Help set appropriate project schedules and handle ongoing changes.
- Maintain knowledge of global travel business, with focus on technology trends that would support comet brands’ growth
- Experience in leading engineering teams
- Current/recent hands on development experience
- Knowledge of web technologies (HTML/CSS)
- Must have experience building UI for B2C web applications
- Management or supportive mentor experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Deep understanding of UI & JVM technologies preferred
- Track-record of technical leadership
- Demonstrate ability as a collaborative leader to lead and improve technical development processes