Unique in the market, Egencia operates like an agile and entrepreneurial start-up, and backed by one of the world’s largest travel groups, Expedia Inc. Each year Egencia helps thousands of companies in over 60 markets better run their travel programs. We provide modern solutions and extraordinary service to millions of travelers as they plan, take and complete every business trip.
As an Engineering Manager, you will get to own and build the best Travel Search experience. You will be expected to ‘cover all bases’ in terms of staff, development, quality, and operations. This means that you will have a lot of scope to define your processes and services. You will also have the opportunity to build innovative features in the travel space.
You possess a proven and established history of developing complex distributed software systems, delivering excellent applications with an uncommon User Experience, a keen technical capability and curiosity, excellent project management skills, strong communication, and be driven to achieve results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
We are looking for someone who dedicates the time and cares about doing the right things. Step into the traveler’s shoes and commit to delivering a precise User Experience!
- Hire and develop top talent
- Provide coaching on all relevant competencies for the engineers in your own team and others as needed
- Act as a catalyst to drive your staff's career development by providing actionable feedback, coaching and seeking opportunities within and outside of your team
- Drive your team to innovate and deliver roadmap features with agility and high quality
- Ensure a set of development practices are followed to assure quality and long-term health of the services your team owns.
- Perform reviews of all designs to make sure that they address failure modes, scalability, security and are suitable for tier one services
- Represent your services and team in multi-functional discussions
- Work with the product and program management team to maintain a roadmap for your team
- Provide operational support for the services you own -- this includes providing an on-call rotation and acting as an escalation path to resolve issues
- Make improvements to your services to increase their success -- this includes performing routine review of key metrics, diving deep into significant anomalies and taking corrective actions as necessary
- Promote and demonstrate the Operational Excellence mentality within your team
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on technical management experience of software developers.
- 8+ years of Java software development work experience
- Background in Service Oriented Architecture implementation, service versioning, and backward compatibility in a high-stakes environment
- Experience designing and implementing fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Strong working knowledge of software engineering technologies, specifically high volume
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and lead a dev team, including performance management
- Self-motivated, able to deal with ambiguity, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines within short time constraints
- High degree of competency with all phases of software development
- Track record of developing reports to meet their career goals
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Prior experience with e-Commerce systems, Travel is a huge plus
- Prior experience building and running services in AWS
- Prior experience implementing Front End and UX
- Working experience with Unix/Linux is preferred