Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We're working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Ecosystem Engagement team is responsible for crafting a clean workspace and surfacing insights to our sellers. The team is responsible for the navigation, information architecture, and homepage of the Seller Dashboard - used by millions of sellers to manage their businesses. The team is also working on a mobile application to help sellers manage their business on-the-go and provide a new surface for other product teams to deliver value.
As the Engineering Manager for Ecosystem Engagement, you will be responsible for driving initiatives from inception through execution. You will be in the unique position of having your customers be Square sellers and internal product teams. This position will require strategic thinking, methodical execution, and superb stakeholder management. You will own the details of the solution from deep in the stack through the end user experience in partnership with design and product.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization.
- Support and collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the company including product, design, legal, accounting, support, and other engineering teams.
- Provide and improve visibility into the engineering team to the rest of the organization.
- Lead engineers on the team through coaching, mentorship, and advocacy instilling a sense of urgency, ownership, and accountability.
- Foster an inclusive environment for your team and those around you to show up and give their best each day.
- Invest in long term opportunities and risks to ensure a solid platform for today and the future.
- Hire and grow your team by cultivating high standards and a cohesive group that is able to execute without distraction.
- Leadership experience: Experience building and leading teams of accomplished software engineers. A passion for mentoring engineers and teaching colleagues.
- Technical depth and maturity: Experience managing complex systems, with the pattern recognition to make high level architectural decisions but also the ability to weigh in on implementation questions.
- Execution rigor: Experience turning strategies and plans into reality, partnering with product and design to scope and prioritize work.
- Initiative: Ability to work autonomously to drive clarity in ambiguous situations.
- Customer empathy: Strong empathy for the merchants that Square serves and an interest in building products that better serve them.
- Curiosity and collaboration: Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Exceptional communication skills and experience balancing diverse priorities in a fair and transparent manner. Ability to navigate difficult conversations, both on your team and with stakeholder teams.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, PHP, Ruby, Go
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, jOOQ, Rails, Laravel
- MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Memcached