Panopto is looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead our Data Team. As leader for the Data Team, you will own the core MS-SQL databases and the data access layer that powers business logic for Panopto’s cloud services. You and your team of senior engineers will provide guidance and oversight for Panopto’s overall software architecture, ensuring code maintainability, separation of concerns, testability, and performance. You and your team will also lead efforts to identify, prioritize, and improve architectural problems that exist in the current codebase. Your team also owns operations for the cloud databases, ensuring high availability, scalability, and cost efficiency.
You will report directly to Panopto’s VP of Engineering and will interface regularly with your peer Eng Mgrs that lead the Cloud Ops, User Experience, and Integrations teams. You will also regularly interface with the leaders of other top-level organizations: Support, Customer Success, Marketing, and Business development. You will regularly have visibility within the executive team and will be considered a critical stakeholder in nearly all major development initiatives.
Required skills / experience:
- People management for teams of 5+ engineers, including staff/principal-level ICs, over multiple years.
- Database / data storage design for a customer-facing product.
- Operations for highly available (tier one) services. Best practices for logging, metrics, monitoring, real-time debugging/diagnostics, and alarming.
- Distributed systems, concurrent programming, and transactional software design
- Client-server API design for fault tolerance and high performance.
- Working knowledge of caching best practices.
- Strong code review skills, coming from a history of personal coding. Code fluency in C#, Java, or C++, and SQL. Working knowledge of common data structures.
- Technical design review skills, coming from a history of architectural and technical code structure design.
- Learning, technical curiosity, ability to rapidly build expertise in new areas and new technical stacks.
- Project management & stakeholder communication
Extra credit (not required) skills / experience:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Data warehouses or data lakes and data analysis services
- C#, LINQ-to-SQL
- AWS know-how, especially Cloudwatch
- Full-stack engineering, including customer-facing UX
- Budgetary planning and responsibility
Your motivations / values:
- Your work is adored by your customers and you derive huge personal satisfaction in understanding your customers, making their lives simpler, and improving their productivity.
- You manage a team of high-performing individual developers, who have grown as a result of your feedback and guidance, and who respect you as a technical leader.
- You thrive and take ownership in an environment with ambiguity - asking the right questions to bring order out of chaos and spread that order to your peers.
- You aren’t afraid to think big when establishing vision, but you know how to develop a plan in steps that deliver incremental value.
- You are highly motivated to move quickly, but you insist on high standards and delivering great results. You are thoughtfully self-critical of your work and your team’s work, always looking for ways to improve.
- You enjoy communicating complex, nuanced ideas to a variety of audiences: engineers, executives, non-technical employees, or customers.