We believe, at therisk of sounding immodest, that we have built one of the best consumer software teams in New York. We're looking for anexperienced manager and leader who can help us scale up our development operation and empower our ridiculously talented team to build the ticketing platform of the future.
What You'll Do On the People Side
- Manage a very high-performing team of backend/full stack engineers.
- Provide regular job performance feedback to, hold one-on-ones with, and provide career developmentsupport to your direct reports.
- Train and mentor the more junior engineers on best practices and software "professionalism".
- Actively participate in our recruiting and hiring process, helping us to grow our engineering team in any way you can.
What You'll Do On The Technical Side
- Perform code reviews and provide code design and product feedback to the team.
- Participate in weekly and monthly planning cycles, and help us keep our priorities in order.
- Communicate technical and product decisions to the right people, resolve blocking issues, and keep our development machine humming.
- ...and if you have any free time after doing all of that stuff, writing code is always a good way to stay sharp!
What We're Looking For
- At least five years of experience as an engineer in a role that was mostly about writing code.
- Irreproachable technical skills. Your team should look up to you as a mentor.
- Knowledge of industry trends in tools and technologies. You can help your team make good tooling and framework decisions that will set them up for success.
- At least two years of experience as an engineering manager of productive, high-performing teams.
- Terrific communication skills. You understand how to lead by setting context.
- Bonus: You were hired as a manager/lead on your last team, and not simply promoted from within the ranks.
The Tools We Use
You absolutely do not need experience with all of these, but we thought you might be curious.
- Languages: Python (our primary language), C#/.NET Core, Go and PHP
- Datastores: MySQL, Redis, RabbitMQ and Elasticsearch
- Server: Nginx, Tornado and flask for Python, all running on AWS
- Monitoring: InfluxDB/Telegraf/Grafana
- Version control: Git
Management At SeatGeek
At SeatGeek, "Manager" is a support function. We've bought into the Google Management Philosophy, and train our managers internally to embody the following eight attributes:
- 1. Is a good coach.
- 2. Empowers the team and does not micromanage.
- 3. Expresses interest in and concern for team members' success and personal well-being.
- 4. Is productive and results-oriented.
- 5. Is a good communicator-- listens and shares information.
- 6. Helps with career development.
- 7. Has a clear vision and strategy for the team.
- 8. Has key technical skills that help him or her advise the team.