- Directs appropriate support for manufacturing and quality functions within the organization, including Essentia manufacturing and raw material collection facilities.
- Oversees key projects, processes and performance reports, data and analysis.
- Selects, develops, trains and supervises staff.
- Develops, determines and implements Essentia engineering policies, procedures and programs.
- Selects correct design concepts and fundamental technology used for new products or improvement for existing ones.
- Reviews and analyzes proposals submitted to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures.
- Approves and submits proposals considered feasible to management for consideration and allocation of funds or allocates funds from the department budget.
- Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects such as preparation of records of expenditures and research findings, progress reports, and staff conferences to inform management of current status of each project.
- Working with the manufacturing, operations and quality manager, reviews and monitors quality and process improvements and new product development.
- Reviews operations and plans to meet requirements for sales planning and to ascertain engineering requirements to develop new markets and related technologies.
- Directs preparation of accounting records for engineering budgets and project expenditures.
- Recommends budgets to management, including staff use, technology, facility and equipment requirements or improvements.
- Negotiates contracts with outside engineering firms to perform research or other applicable studies or support.
- Provides oversight to outside engineering firms and consultants as necessary to ensure accurate and proper engineering designs.
- Directly manages and implements key projects from design to development, as well as providing onsite presence in the field during those projects.
- Drives continuous improvement to overall quality, efficiency, processes and cost reduction initiatives by collaborating with Essentia facilities, collection sites and peer groups.
- Provides regular updates to engineering team regarding the status of projects.
- Promotes inter-plant collaboration by providing engineering support on an as-needed basis, developing and distributing a monthly project status report, and following up with facility team leaders on cost reduction/process improvement ideas.
- Analyzes product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine design, which can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods.
- Analyzes engineering proposals, process requirements, and related technical data pertaining to industrial machinery and equipment design.
- Determines feasibility of designing new processes or modifying existing processes considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Provides technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect long range plant and product engineering planning.
- Promotes safety and a safe working environment in all areas of operation.
- Knowledge of industrial engineering practices/principles and drafting to solve specific problems in a timely manner.
- Ability to lead people.
- Advanced knowledge of organizational methods and the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously while prioritizing work effectively with minimum supervision or direction.
- Advanced knowledge of unit operation design, installation, and operation with an emphasis on troubleshooting. Unit operations may include a variety of liquid pumps, dryers, powder transfer (and pneumatic) equipment, heat exchangers, liquid separation equipment, and membrane filtration systems.
- Knowledge of manufacturing costs associated with implementing engineering designs and equipment and the ability to prepare written reports.
- Knowledge of mechanical measurements, instrumentation skills along with mathematical, chemical, and cost analysis when necessary in the performance of duties.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality related to all duties and responsibilities, such as the proprietary information of vendors and customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to employees, contractors, vendors, suppliers, customers, and other business related contacts.
- Ability to develop, analyze, modify and implement engineering methods and procedures.
- Ability to prepare, understand, and interpret engineering construction plans, specifications, and other contract documents.
- Ability to maintain accurate and up to date project design files and drawings, and identifying and correcting safety, ergonomic, and operational problems through proper design of equipment.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD drafting software to provide efficient communications to all parties involved in the design process.
- Ability to understand process and product testing procedures employed by APC, Inc. including chemical, microbiological and physiological tests.
- Knowledge of regulations and codes involving electrical, construction, NFPA, OSHA, EPA, air quality as well as food safety, GMP and HAACP.
- Knowledge of electrical controls and power distribution, pneumatics, pumps, hydraulics, heat transfer and pressure applied theory.
- Ability to modify and adapt equipment/machinery to advance product processes from theory to application.
- Ability to organize and plan efficiently.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
- Ability to operate all necessary office equipment such as a computer, cellular phone, fax machine, copy machine, data collection equipment, etc.
- Knowledge of various computer software required to accomplish job duties such as MS Excel, MS Word, AutoCAD, and project management software.
- Ability to direct the work of others effectively.
- Ability to participate in professional development classes as needed.
- Ability to work daily and extended hours as necessary.
- Ability to travel (30-40%) and change schedule as required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or chemical engineering preferred. Industrial engineering or engineering technology degrees will also be considered.
Experience: A minimum of 5-7 years of engineering experience is required. Candidates with experience managing the Engineering function, including other Engineers, are preferred.