This position is responsible for managing all engineering projects in the Consumer Products SBU. Job responsibilities include driving and improving product quality, initiating and implementing product related cost reductions, and coordinating/managing New Product Development projects. He/she will work closely with Marketing, Sales, Quality, other business units and manufacturing leaders, and will initiate and develop new ideas as well as execute assigned projects and programs. The successful candidate will be a strong project leader and is expected to provide technical leadership and supervision of engineering staff.
The successful candidate will:
- Determine the root causes of product quality issues, define quality improvement projects, and, depending on product family, engage the appropriate engineering groups to develop systemic solutions to eliminate future recurrences.
- Lead cost reduction projects that deliver large improvements. Focus on design-based projects that consolidate, replace and improve existing materials, packaging, components, or sub-assemblies of Rain Bird products.
- Manage new product development projects and merchandising projects to meet justified objectives. This may involve the use of internal project staff and/or external resources.
- Be proficient in project management, able to manage large projects, identify critical paths and reduce time to market
- Manage assigned functions and staff to achieve Rain Bird performance standards.
- Be willing to travel as required.
- S. in an engineering discipline, preferably mechanicalengineering
- Eight or more years of combined engineering and management experience
- Proven track record with successful new product development
- Ability to motivate individuals to high levels of performance and accomplishment and work within a matrix structure to achieve objectives
- Ability to work well with both internal and external resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized, enthusiastic, a strong work ethic, and good coaching skills
- Irrigation industry experience
- Experience in using CAD/CAE engineering tools, including FEA and fluid dynamics
- Experience and proven results with Lean and Six Sigma tools and techniques
- MBA or graduate degree