Tacoma Water Distribution Engineering is seeking an engineer to join our team of engineers and professional technical staff. This position will operate and maintain the distribution systems hydraulic model including zone analysis, project main sizing, fire flow scenarios, water age analysis, distribution system optimization, outage scenarios and response; and will be a user of the Distribution Engineering economic models providing analytical and internal auditing through data querying for the development of Business Case Evaluations (BCE).
City of Tacoma Recruitment
One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
- Four-yeardegree from an accredited college or university in civil, or mechanical engineering or related engineering field.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license from the State of Washington in the field of Civil Engineering or the ability to attain a Washington PE after hire.
- Two years of experience as an engineer including hydraulic modeling and development of business case evaluations.
Knowledge & Skills
- Hydraulic modeling
- Development of Business Case Evaluations (BCE)
- Complex engineering and design theories and principles, including water and hydraulics
- Complex science theories and principles, including water chemistry and biological and physical sciences
- All other applicable laws, regulations, codes, policies, procedures, and engineering standard practices and principals
- Principles and practices of project management and leadership
- Principles of cost estimation, schedule control and contract administration
- Computer applications related to the work, including advanced Excel concepts, basic concepts for other Microsoft products (Word, Access, Visio, Project, PowerPoint), basic GIS/AutoCAD concepts, and other applications
- Writing technical reports and memorandums
- Reviewing and preparing plans, specifications, estimates, and engineering calculations
- Understanding and interpreting regulatory requirements and preparing documentation and submittals to provide to regulating agencies
- Developing and administering contracts for supplies, professional services, and construction work
- Conducting research and using industry resources to better understand complex issues and to identify alternatives for resolution of problems
- Understanding and applying engineering principles to resolve complex problems
- Managing multiple tasks, often with competing deadlines
- Preparing and reviewing budgets and cost estimates
- Communicating effectively with project parties, co-workers, the general public and regulatory officials
- Effectively representing Distribution Engineering with project parties, and all other internal and outside contacts
- Perform quality work on-time and achieve excellent results with minimum need for oversight, making timely decisions even under ambiguous circumstances or when data are limited
- Read, interpret, and apply rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures
- Adapt easily to changing needs, conditions, and work responsibilities and adapt approach, goals, and methods to achieve successful solutions and results in dynamic situations
- Appropriately plan, organize, prioritize, and concurrently complete multiple project assignments integrating many factors into decisions and ensuring an accurate, high-quality end product
- Collect and use data and information in a clear and rational thought process to assess and understand issues, evaluate options, form accurate conclusions, and make sound decisions
- Effectively convey ideas and information, orally or in writing, using language that is appropriate to both the complexity of the topic and the knowledge and understanding of the audience
- Actively partner with co-workers to provide them with information, techniques, instruction, feedback, and encouragement
- Critically observe and inspect structures, equipment, and environmental conditions to collect information and take actions that satisfy diverse interests and contribute effectively to organizational goals
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement
- Speak at public meetings, or other forums to discuss project activities, policies and results
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested candidates should apply online and attach a resume and cover letter that describes specific experience and skills applicable to the position description.