Bio-Rad Laboratories is looking for a Lead Engineer - Flow Cytometry.
- Responsible to help guide and lead an engineering team for all platform development activities of cell biology research instruments (heating, cooling, fluidics, electronics, mechanical systems, optics, lasers, PMTs) including the development of advanced flow cytometers and cell sorters.
- This is a technical leadership position that would manage the activities of a cross functional engineering team but still have a hands-on approach.
- We require a strong emphasis on quality, reliability and manufacturability in all activities.
- Individual contributor specialist with full understanding of work concepts, principles and practices in engineering and flow cytometry.
- Uses knowledge to expand on standard techniques and processes in creative and effective ways.
- Applies extensive knowledge of technical principles, theories, and concepts in mechanical, electrical and optical engineering and employs sound project management.
- Integrates research, information and trends into solutions to identify and solve complex problems that require evaluation of variables and the regular use of ingenuity and innovation.
- Works with general direction and acts as a key contributor in own area of knowledge.
- Shall provide guidance to lower-level employees.
- Guides the successful completion of major programs, processes and/or projects for the department/function, and often takes on a project leadership role.
- Has responsibility for communications with key external development partners and contract engineering firms.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criterion for obtaining results.
- Formulates changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
- Formulates/monitors project plans.
- Assigns and monitors and reports the progress of work distributed to others.
- May be the key contact for outside application/technology providers.
- Experience with solid modeling software (SolidWorks preferred). Practical knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Technical project management
- Knowledge of material and polymer properties, especially those used in the medical and life science industries.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills. Experience with dispersed project teams strongly desired.
- Team technical leadership or supervision.
- BS or better in mechanical engineering, electrical, optical or closely-related discipline.
- +10 years of experience in design of instrumentation in the medical or life sciences fields. Preferable in flow cytometry and/or cell sorting.
- Experienced with instrumentation design including electrical, optical, fluidics, mechanical components, molding, and material specification.
- Product design and fabrication experience with electro-mechanical devices preferred.
- Design and documentation experience with Solidworks or similar solid modelling software. Working knowledge with Microsoft office applications.
- Knowledgeable in developing designs in a regulated environment.
Requisition ID 2018-6402