The Test Engineer, as an integral part of IT’s test-related services, the test engineer will work closely with developers and testing teams to influence solutions with regards to testability; driving process, efficiency, accuracy, tool use, and automation; maintaining quality assurance standards, delivering automation and best practices for multiple software delivery methodologies.
Position’s Customer(s): IT-related solution delivery teams.
Essential Duties of Position:
- · Own and drive test-related best practices and efficiencies through tool use and automation. Assist with assessments and solution designs in collaboration with the development teams to recommend more “testable” solutions. Goals being to:
- • Meet the needs of the business
- • Support the delivery of solutions that are easily tested
- • Continually grow the library of use cases, test cases, and test scripts; adding to the regression set
- • Whenever possible, prioritize test automation
- · Associated support/oversight of the testing team with the test manager; providing support in the engagement and execution of testing activities related to the needs and priorities of GCI goals.
- · Responsible for test-related environments, including access, scheduling, related communication/notification, test data.
- · Associated Test Management advocacy across IT and the enterprise with the test manager. Promoting best practices and procedures through regular interaction and communication; bridging business needs with process/protocol, innovation, efficiency, and quality. Critical to this will be developing and maintaining strategic alignment across teams, with consideration for various, situational methodologies in development, testing, and delivery.
- · Maintain up-to-date information and recommendations on related best practices, tool, and technologies and actively drive enhancements, adoption, and implementation
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- • Must have a strong understanding of automated test frameworks (examples: Selenium, SoapUI, SauceLabs, SOATest, TestStudio, jUnit, TestNG, jMeter).
- • Extensive experience using enterprise-level quality reporting and quality tracking systems.
- • Experience running a software application performance testing function, within or outside of a QA group.
- • Experience collaborating with developers and business stakeholders to clarify requirements, especially in terms of testability, consistency, and completeness.
- • Partner with key business and technical stakeholders, in order to develop a quality release testing strategy.
- • Actively lead and participate in software delivery product sessions, gathering business requirements and acceptance criteria for test strategy and approach.
- • Experience with functional, regression, security, and performance testing.
- • In-depth knowledge in test automation, test-driven development, acceptance test-driven development, white-box, black-box, and experience-based testing.
- • Hands on experience working in an Agile SDLC within the SCRUM framework is preferred.
- • Ability to work independently, as well as part of a small, close-knit technology team which offers full ownership of projects in a supportive environment.
- • May be responsible for securing and planning training of staff for new technologies and tools.
- • Experience preferred re: Java, C#, Ruby running on Tomcat, .Net, Phusion Passenger, Git, GitHub, Stash, MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, SQLServer.
- • Experience with continuous integration tools (examples: Jenkins, TeamCity, Bamboo, TFS)
- • Experience with: REST APIs in large ecosystems with complex integrations.
- • Experience with mocking and stubbing.
- • Experience with Linux preferred.
- • Participate in or lead evaluation of new products and tools.
- • Ability to effectively work in a team setting to plan & design test procedures.
- • Ability to devise test strategy based on business requirements and acceptance criteria.
- • Advocate and lead cross-department quality initiatives.
- • Excellent interpersonal skills.
- • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- • Must have a minimum of two years experience as a Test/ Quality Assurance Engineer or related experience required.
- • High School diploma or equivalent required.
- • A Bachelor Degree in in Computer Science or related field required.
- • In addition to minimum experience required, degree may be substituted on a year for year basis with relevant exempt work experience on a year for year basis.
- • Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.
- • Preferred: ITIL Foundations, PMP, Agile/Scrum, and/or TMMi.
Position reports to: Assigned supervisor/ Manager of Department
Number of Direct Reports (if applicable): N/A
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform sedentary work. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
Working Conditions: Work is generally performed in an office environment, and remote work may be required. Hours may vary, but are based on a normal 40-hour workweek. A flexible schedule to accommodate evening and weekends may be required. Occasional travel for business and training purposes is required. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be requested to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.