Reporting to the lead specialist mechanical, static, your knowledge and experience will be used to identify and mitigate potential safety, reliability, maintainability, or operational problems and to ensure safe, reliable, and efficient operation of our pressure equipment assets. Your role is to provide technical direction to all Suncor Business Units and operating sites, to develop and maintain technical specifications and guidelines, to support design of new assets and projects, and to provide overall technical leadership to the corporation.
- Applydesign knowledge and expertise to stationary equipment (tank, heat exchanger, pressure vessel, process fired heater, and piping) to identify and mitigate potential reliability, safety, maintainability, or operational problems and ensure safe, reliable, and efficient operation
- Collaborate with business units or other engineering groups to solve engineering problems
- Participate in failure investigations and root cause analysis of discrete events
- Review and trend failure patterns to identify common root causes
- Perform engineering analysis for new designs, repairs, modifications, or determination of fitness-for-service
- Review engineering deliverables produced by other Suncor engineers, engineering firms, and vendors for scopes related to fixed equipment
- Use risk reviews, management of change processes and other safety checks to properly manage risks
- Create continuous improvement recommendations to improve asset capability, safety, and operability through elimination of bad actors and/or improved equipment or component selection and innovation
- Ensure Suncor or industry lessons learned are shared and incorporated in designs and practices.
- Keep up to date with current industry practices, technologies, and methodologies
- Review and approve technical decisions or deviations to Suncor specifications
- Provide support to projects on the selection of appropriate technologies, equipment, tools, materials and systems
- Participate in reviews and audits of critical designs and equipment to ensure compliance with Suncor engineering standards, criteria, design philosophy, specifications and deliverables
Experience and Education:
- 15 or more years of maintenance and/or reliabilityexperience with pressure equipment in the oil and gas industry
- Bachelordegree in mechanical engineering
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of static equipment design, damage mechanisms, and inspection and repair strategies, including assessment of fitness-for-service
- Familiar with API, ASME, NACE, CSA, and other relevant codes and standards, as well as jurisdictional and legal requirements for pressure equipment
- Effective communicator capable of understanding, anticipating and responding to the needs of the engineering and operations groups and building effective relationships with these groups.
- Leadership, mentorship, and influencing skills will be required to provide strong technical direction to customers
- Strong collaboration and independent working skills that consistently meet time deadlines.
- Continually seek greater knowledge about the systems, processes and hazards in the workplace, in order to understand not just what you do but why you do it
- Demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset, pursuing operational excellence through a disciplined process to improve effectiveness, efficiency and sustainment of processes and services
- Strong computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office, and working knowledge of SAP and Livelink is preferred. Knowledge of specialized engineering software is an asset.
JOB NUMBER: 20728