Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior - Software Data
Ball Aerospace is looking for a data engineer to join the Mission and Process Analytics (MPA) team.
What You'll Do:
- Be a member of a dynamic data analytics team; a team tasked with being a champion for data-driven decisions throughout the enterprise while advancing Ball Aerospace's data analytics and data governance strategies and goals.
- Collaborate with team members and business stakeholders on projects that answer key questions that enable informed decision-making.
- Use technical prowess and exercise wide latitude to discover, blend, transform and interpret data from disparate sources.
- Work with a variety of systems to integrate data and build out a data model/semantic layer for use in projects. Be open to general course correction and feedback from leadership regarding results. Be prepared to coach, teach, instruct MPA team members on technical solutions.
- Design, implement, and publish visualizations/dashboards and other reporting tools for consumption by the business community, working directly with leadership to fulfill MPA's objectives.
- Operationalize and perform quality assessments of software algorithms and re-usable components to mature the MPA toolkit.
- Work closely with the Information Technology organization in the development of data solutions.
- Partner with internal business stakeholders to gather requirements and develop solutions that provide access to information, independently and without appreciable direction from leadership.
- Bring new and innovative ideas to the data analytics team and Ball Aerospace.
- Look for opportunities to build new working relationships with Stakeholders, in support of the mission of MPA.
- Present technical and programmatic aspects of a project to the MPA team and to the stakeholder, independently and without appreciable direction from leadership.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education .
- Degree in Computer Science is preferred.
- A passion for solving problems and finding answers to business questions where solutions may be highly technical in nature and require the regular use of ingenuity.
- Attention to detail, cost-conscious mindset, self-motivation and go-getter attitude is required.
- Ability to apply extensive technical expertise in data integration tools, such as SQL or VQL.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of visualization tools and the development of dashboards and reporting solutions; tools like Tableau, Power BI, Business Objects Web Intelligence.
- Understanding of data warehousing concepts.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.