Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution. Engineer Senior - RF - Antenna Design
This engineering position will report to the manager of RF Solutions, primarily support the Tactical Solutions business unit of Ball, and will have Radio Frequency (RF) engineering as its area of specialization with design and test of RF antennas, radiating apertures, and components as the focus. This position is eligible for a hiring incentive of a minimum of $10,000 for external hires only. What You'll Do:
What You'll Need:
- Be responsible for the hands-on design and realization of individual antennas, phased array antennas, RF circuits, and passive RF components.
- Use computational electromagnetic analysis software to design and predict performance on various types of antennas and apertures (spiral, sinuous, Vivaldi, patch, slot, horn, etc.)
- Design frequency-selective surfaces (FSSs) for use with various radiating apertures.
- Implement various design techniques (materials, shaping, etc.) for RCS mitigation where necessary.
- Collaborate with other engineers and technicians to realize antenna designs.
- Participate and guide the testing of RF hardware for required performance metrics: VSWR, insertion loss, gain, polarization, radar cross section (RCS), etc.
- Antenna requirement evaluation, initial concept trade-off and development, in-house and customer presentations, travel, and technical proposal writing and cost/schedule estimating.
- Investigate new technologies and applications for radiating apertures and antennas.
- Mentor and guide more junior engineers and technicians in the design, build, and test phases of RF projects and programs.
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems involving antenna/sensor-based applications such as electronic warfare, electronic attack, electronic support measures, communications, geolocation, direction finding, etc.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Interface well with other people at all levels including customers, use initiative in applying solutions to assignments. Contributes to large teams.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Full competency in core RF engineering and antenna theory and skills and general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Assist with the preparation and delivery of presentations.
- Experience and skills to effectively contribute to successful producibility of designs and to cost, budget, and schedule control.
- Experience with design of antennas and passive RF components (radiating elements, radomes, power dividers, couplers, transitions, multi-layer board designs, FSSs, etc.).
- Analytical design experience using software and simulation tools such as AWR Microwave Office/Agilent ADS, CST, FEKO, HFSS, and SENTRI.
- RF antenna testing experience utilizing network analyzers, PNAs, anechoic chambers, near-field ranges, etc.
- Experience and proficiency in programming, data manipulation, and data visualization in MATLAB.
- Ability to schedule and execute measurements at internal and external facilities and perform measurement analysis and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical expertise in RF engineering and to leverage knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to lead RF efforts and tasks and to guide technical project teams toward the completion of program goals and milestones.
- Current security clearance is preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.Nearest Major Market: